ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Insta-dry doesn't work

Insta-dry doesn't work

I just discovered that turning on Insta-dry doesn't work!

I made some brush strokes and then used the pallet knife and was able to smear the paint any way I chose with any knife setting.

I waited a few minutes and the paint was still wet ... didn't dry.

According to the manual the paint is supposed to dry as soon as you make the stroke. I would presume that means when you life the pen ( brush) from the tablet the paint should immediately dry.

Isn't working!

Do I need to turn on Insta-dry and leave the program and restart it for that setting to take effect?
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Willie, my expierence in AR is that the paint is never "dry" for the pallet knife tool. Insta-dry only has application for applying paint using the oil brush. It's a great setting for the oil brush, but would render the pallet knife almost unusable unless there was a setting to "re-wet" an area of paint.

AndRage or DaveRage may have other or more accurate information for you, but I think I'm in the ballpark on this one.

Hope this helps.
    b
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Dry media can still be smudged using the palette knife, but not smeared around to such a great extent as wet media. If you're using the third setting of the palette knife, that's a more digital smudge effect, so will affect media regardless of dryness or wetness in about the same way.

I've attached an example below. The left stroke is a paint stroke made without instadry on. The right was made with insta-dry. I've used the second setting of the palette knife on both. The left stroke's wet paint is smeared wheras the right stroke's dry paint is smudged by the palette knife.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks again

Some of my keys are losing their letters from typing Thanks so much

I was using the third setting on the pallet knife for the most part.
    Now I understand that.

I have also discovered I can use the eraser to sorta kinda simulate scraping with the pallet knife. With pressure turned way down and softess up I can remove part of the paint either wet or dry or all of it.

I had seen the other two settings on the pallet knife didn't smudge / smear the paint as much but expected that if the paint was dry they wouldn't smudge / smear at all. They would scrape it away.

Not so. Okay. The eraser can substitute I guess
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.