ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dry the paint?

Dry the paint?

Is there a way to dry the paint on a layer?

So far, I can only find the instant dry button on the brush.

I would like to be able to paint with any tool and then tell it to dry the paint. Ideally I would like to be able to apply paint with more than one tool and more than one color and then tell it to apply the paint I have applied since the last dry command or since I opened the file.

It would be great to be able to apply paint, tell it to dry, then scrape it with the pallet knife or apply other paint over the top without it interacting with the paint beneath.
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

If you create a new layer, it will by default (and there are settings to vary this) not interact with other layers.
    Not sure what you mean by wanting to scrape dry paint. Possibly a very light pressure eraser tool will give you the effect you're looking for.

dry the paint

Yes I create layers, but, when working on that layer it would be good at times to be able to dry the paint. Only the brush has a dry / no dry setting. I like to apply it wet with the auto-dry off but would like to be able to dry it later. As far as I know, that can't be done.

If I put down some paint with any tool, including the brush with the no-dry set then come back and put more paint down they can intereact because the bottom layer is not dry.

If we could dry the paint, you could then use the pallet knife to scrape away some paint or put down paint on top of the existing paint without any interaction.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Yeah, there's just no way to do that in AR that I know of other than using layers. Even when you Import or Open an image ... it comes in "wet".

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    Yeah, there's just no way to do that in AR that I know of other than using layers. Even when you Import or Open an image ... it comes in "wet".

Likewise, you can not, in the same AR layer, lay one color over another and then scrape away some of the top layer to expose color in lower layers. You can mimic this using different AR layers, but it requires a lot of planning for complex paintings. I've made a request for this feature but my guess is it may be to resource intensive to make it a viable possibility. I'm hoping for it anyway. It's a central feature in many styles of building paintings.

b
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-09-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

More dry the paint

If they can have paint applied by the brush Insta-dry as applied, why can't it be dried after you have finished applying it?

Why can't paint applied with the roller or airbrush be dried?

As it is, paint applied with any tool other than the brush is permanently wet.

And, in order to dry paint applied with the brush, you have to turn on Insta-dry before using the brush. You can't paint and then turn on Insta-dry later to dry it after you are done.

I just discovered my Insta-dry isn't working!!!

I went into Artrage and turned Insta-dry on and made a brush stroke and was able to use the pallet knife to smear it any way I wanted. The manual says with Insta-dry on the paint is supposed to dry as soon as you make the stroke. I waited a few minutes and the paint still isn't dry.

Looks like I might have a technical problem of some kind. That should work according to the manual.

Willie, just to be sure, make sure the insta-dry button reads ON when you want insta-dry active and OFF when you want it inactive. Some programs use the opposite approach for toggling, so I'm wondering if you've got the correct toggle position??????
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

The palette knife will still smear dry paint to a certain extent.
    Also, if you have wet paint next to dry paint and smear the wet paint overtop the dry paint, all the dry paint that had wet paint on top of it is considered wet by ArtRage.
    If you have paint that you want to be sure never smears, then place it on its own layer.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"