ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How long do you need?

How long do you need?

Hi, as I am drawing now for some hours on ony tiny image, I am just curious
    how long you all need for whole drawing or painting?
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Hi Narf. I usually need anywhere from a few hours to a few days depending on what I'm painting, it's size, it's complexity, and my satisfaction with how it is progressing. I know people who complete simple works in an hour (or less) and others who have spent several weeks (even months) on rather complex pieces.

I think you'll find other users share similar experiences. There is no particular meaningful "average" time that it takes "average" users to complete paintings. I'd bet the house on that.

However, one great thing about AR, without having to wait for layers to dry, the ability to undo mistakes instantly, etc. paintings on average can sure be done a heck of a lot faster than working with the real-world tools AR mimics, and my wife doesn't complain about the turpintine.

Best, Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Narf, I have as much as 80 to 100 hours in some of my digital paintings.. Time means nothing to me.. It's all in the finished painting.. Whatever it takes to make it right in your eyes, is how long ot should take..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

That's a hard one to answer, I would say most of mine take between 2-6 hours but some have taken a day or two..Just keep painting till you feel it's done and don' worry about the clock..I usually finish one then file it for a day and then look at it again. I find it looks different if you haven't worked on it for a little while...

Time is irrelevant

Only your picture has meaning, whether it takes an hour or a year, it's done when you think it's done. At least that's the way it has worked for me for years. If you want you can always post the work in the In Progress forum and get others opinions if you feel it is lacking something.

I agree with most posters here, art takes as much time as it needs. I do work in a consistent way though. I always sketch my ideas first. Sometimes I refine this work a lot. Then I paint or finish the piece. The act of sketching loosens me up and helps me look at my subject more closely, to become more intimate with it. I have good days where my arm is in sync with my heart and brain. And I have bad ones where nothing works together. At those times I find it's best to go clean the closet!
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

I will use an answer made by a famous painter : as I'm 39 years old, each drawing I do takes me 39 years plus some more time...
    My portfolio & other things :
    http://www.cedrictrojani.fr

Yep, there´s no quick fix nor a pat answer. When it seems done to you, it´s done. Most of my stuff takes a long time to complete. I spent four hours a day for nearly three weeks on one piece. It depends on the project. Just keep at it, and you´ll know when it´s ready.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Yes, it all depends on the painting for how long it takes to complete. If it all goes well , I can finish a painting in a day....but if there are problems it may take much longer. Sometimes if a painting is giving me a hard time , I leave it alone for a week or so and then come back to it when I have revived.

Again just ringing out the echo, all depends on how much time you need or have, as with me. What between, school, full time job, 4 siblings and a whack of personal hobbies, I find that I can only spare about an hour to three at most a day. That's why my paintings are pretty loose and sketchy and never planned out (until the end). I do them all in one sitting from start to finish. But my mother, who works with real oils and paints, she is still working on some paintings she's had for months.

So if you have the time, take it, if time is short make small sketched works. I won't say that you can't make them complicated with short amount of time tho.

that's my two cents! hope it helps you out :O)
    do check my art work out @
    mashalevene.carbonmade.com
    and prints @
    mashalevene.smugmug.com