Thread: problem with blend and knife

Gallery
    View images

problem with blend and knife

I'd not blend using knife properly at all - one min it blends beautifully then the next it'd not blend - i don't understand why - I was using one method - oil.

is it a bug?

hopefully they will add wet brush or cloth to blend better.

Gallery
    View images
    the knife tool was originally for spreading paint and not for blending,

but most people use it for blending now..........hopefully the software guys will intorduce a proper blending tool later on.........

ive notice good blending with a knife also depends on colours and tones as well,

hope this clears a few things up
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    . . . and enough paint on the canvas. The palette knife seems to really like thick paint.

I read in a post somewhere back that they designed it to approximate real tools and conditions -- like if there's not much paint it won't spread as far.

But Andy will give you the difinitive answer, I imagine. And I'll be listening in.

Gallery
    View images
    Well, I placed thick paint on paper and different colour of paint next to that paint, it would not 'blend' each other using the knife at all. Sometimes it is fine.

Frankly it is so annoying - Not like in real life.

When will we see proper blending tool? I understand that AR is using natural environment but using finger or cloth to blend is natural too.

Gallery
    View images

See above for example - that light blue, can not be blended while the darker can.

I think it is a bug.

[/img]

Gallery
    View images
    Probably a silly question, but you didn't by any chance have Insta-dry set on at any point did you? That would certainly prevent smearing from working well with the palette knife.

That sort of behaviour you have in your image isn't happening here on my test machine, and isn't one I'm familiar with - mainly the strange thing I notice is that your paint is utterly unaffected ( the light blue ) in terms of keeping all its bristle strokes. Even if it's not going to smear far, those shouldn't be a problem to squash with the palette knife.

Do feel free to email me your painting file in ArtRage PTG format to support@ambientdesign.com for me to look over. It may help provide an insight into what is going on there for you.

A tool you might find easier for what I think you're trying to do is the dry brush. Just set your paint brush loading to 0% ( no paint at all ), and use the brush to smear the colours into each other.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Ah, have tried it (insta dry, 0% loading, etc) and I am getting the hang of it.

Thanks

Nick