ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wishes

Wishes

First...when is the next version coming out?

Second...the program sorely needs watercolor.

Third... as far as my impressions, from the beginning of computer art software...I used CorelDRAW 1.0 and all the early versions of Photoshop, Photopaint, Illustrator, Pagemaker, etc., etc... I remember wondering why they didn't use traditional art tools in digital form. So, when I first opened up ArtRAGE, I was very impressed with the triangles, rulers, french curves, etc.

It is very difficult to get smooth "gestures" with Painter and Photoshop using a Wacom tablet. (I also wondered why they didn't design the tablet to use these tools, fwiw.)

Anyway...you have a great program, although I don't feel that it is viable in the professional market against Painter which has far more depth.

I understand that the developers of ArtRage are the 0riginal developers of Painter? I am sure that you will improve the program and eventually bring it up to speed. It has an awesomely intuitive interface and tremendous potential.

Isn't the next update past due?

The next version of ArtRage will be released when it is finished.
    It's well on the way. You're right - it is past due. But it's a very large update and I'm sure when you see it you'll understand why it's taken so long. We certainly haven't been sitting back twiddling our thumbs for the past 18 months!

ArtRage 3 will have watercolour.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

OH Andy, you've got me all excited again. "She said, waiting patiently!"
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    The next version of ArtRage will be released when it is finished.
    Ok...so when will it be finished? (circular discussions not allowed)

Btw...thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking forward to the update...h'mm I wonder what the upgrade cost will be? h'mm.

One more thing...

I would love to see the ability to constrain gestures to various degrees...so that when you draw freehand, the resulting lines can be constrained to make smooth lines.

It is very difficult to trace an image with a pen, for example, and keep the lines clean without being "jerky." It can be done by moving fast, but the accuracy is compromised.

This is true for all programs I have used, in terms of freehand gestures.

Adman, For lines that you describe I use illustrator or a cheaper program called Zeus draw. I finish my line work in one of the 2 and then bring the artwork as a stencil into artrage. There are other vector programs out there that do this kind of work. ArtRage, like photoshop and it's kind, are bitmap programs. And the two don't necessarily mix. And I wouldn't want them to. The shaky, natural line quality of AR is what a lot of us desire. I do use multiple programs to finish a piece of art and I like the challenge and solutions that each of these programs bring to my work. Cheers.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Thanks for posting but you are preaching to the choir and you are being quite presumptive - even a tad condescending. I am keenly aware of the difference between bitmap and vector based creative software...having used these programs at the professional level since their inception...in addition to 3d modeling, video editing and audio recording software...

There is no facility for doing what I described in the way that I am suggesting. My suggestion would allow the user to adjust the amount of "correction" to your liking. What I am looking for is the simple and fundamental ability to draw clean lines, just as I can do with a drawing pencil, marker or pen... the same gestures that bitmap illustration software, by definition, is attempting to mimic.
    Last edited by Adman; 04-20-2009 at 04:50 AM.

So sorry, it was never my intent to sound presumptive or even worse condescending. My apologies.

No problem... I was only wondering where in my post that I left the impression that I did not know the basic difference between vector and bitmap software...and/or that I needed to be instructed on this.

I offered a suggestion to Rage developers that would address my biggest issue with bitmap painting software, including Rage, Painter, Photoshop, etc. Again, this being the lack of ability to draw the same clean, smooth lines that I can draw with a traditional drawing pencil or pen...or brush for that matter. The only way I can see this happening with a Wacom tablet stylus, is to have the function I mentioned, that would constrain pixels to the basic gesture, to a degree specified by the user. This would also preserve the pressure sensitivity and angle of the stroke in a manner that is not possible (to my satisfaction) with vector programs (CorelDRAW being my favorite -- I have used it since version 1.) -- though they have tried. Even if it were possible, it would still be beneficial to be able to accomplish this within RAGE without the need for using and importing from another program.
    Last edited by Adman; 04-20-2009 at 05:52 AM.

Thumbs up Auto-smoothing pen...

Apparently my suggestion has been implemented in the upcoming version 3.0. THANK YOU ARTRAGE DEVELOPERS for listening... I believe, if this works as I suggested, that it will result in a huge new feature, exclusive to ArtRage...that users will find indispensible.