ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Novice Question about Stencils

Novice Question about Stencils

Hi all,
    I created some stencils made from works of art. (Van Gogh, Kandinsky). However, when I attemtp to use them as stencils, they seem to be too thin and the color bleeds through, and is lighter in those places. I realized this when I used one of Art Rage's stencils and I could see they were much thicker, and therefore there was no bleeding. Is there any way I can fix this, or should I only choose certain types of images to convert to stencil. Thanks.

Jackie

Dear Jackie, don't know much about the technical side of the stencils but i do love to play around with them and have found that when i make a stencil it must be filled in completely or it will be sheer like a screen, have a nice day!

Thank you. I guess that's the problem. It isn't filled in and has a lot of sheer area.

stencils work like cut outs... in other words like real stencils.... so black areas are the cut out area (negative) and white areas are positive. If you made a few strokes on a layer and then converted that layer to a stencil the painted area would be interpreted as black or negative area for a stencil. Kind of like a layer mask or a preserving transparency feature.

So the stencil you made from the few strokes now becomes an area you can paint in and and will be surrounded by the border line of the stencil. You can still paint outside and beyond the stencil frame, but not on the stencil itself... only the cut away part. Like a real stencil.

when you try to use a colored image for a stencil in RGB it interprets the whole thing as white or gray so doesn't work too well to then try to paint through the stencil you made... since there is no negative space for the paint to go through.
    so try converting your image to gray scale and it may work better, but the best stencils would be clearly defined black and white areas.
    you can also invert the stencil by right clicking on a stencil and choosing>invert the stencil.
    Anyway try using a grayscale image or black and white image and see what you come up with.

Fraser pace is experienced with turning photos into stencils... you may find his expertise helpful on this subject.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.

As an added note to all the above, anything in the stencil that is not 100% black will only block partiallly. Any color in the stecil will act as a shade of gray, and any gray (meaning not 100% black) will act as a partial stencil and paint will seep through accordingly and proportionally to the degree of "blackness", the type of paint applicator and the pressue settings for the applicator. To be a 100% masking stencil, it should be 100% black and 100% white. Anything else creates partial masking that can be extremely useful in it's own right for creating many desired effects, but will not mask 100%.

Before I understood this I thought stencils I was making were leaky. I spent a lot of time scratching my head. However, I also discovered that "leaky" stencils can be quite useful. I have a whole painting planned around "leaky" stencils. If I can ever get aorund to creating the stencils I'll get to work on it.