ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Forum Posts Appear in Web Searches???

Gallery
    View images

Forum Posts Appear in Web Searches???

DaveRage, AndyRage: I am encountering ArtRage forum posts appearing in Google searches. Should I take it to understand that posts to the forum are archieved by search engines and retrieved in searches?
    Thanks,
    b

Gallery
    View images
    I discovered it when I was doing a search for something related to a picture here, and it showed a particular clip of text on Google and I thought "That look awfully familiar. . . hey look at the address -- AmbientDesign. com/forums. . . ! Holy mackrel.

And it was not a particularly hot or unique topic either. It was really off the wall.

But yeah. I've seen it. I reported back to the poster that they had become famous to show up on the first page of a Google search. Like #4 or something.

Last edited by D Akey; 03-03-2009 at 03:21 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Ive seen it happening on lots of forums, not just this one.
    And many times, when searching for something myself - I have been led via a particular post on a forum, which sparked my interest so I joined that forum which I would otherwise never have known about

Gallery
    View images
    [quote=D Akey;165890]I discovered it when I was doing a search for something related to a picture here, and it showed a particular clip of text on Google and I thought "That look awfully familiar. . . hey look at the address -- AmbientDesign. com/forums. . . ! Holy mackrel.

And it was not a particularly hot or unique topic either. It was really off the wall.

But yeah. I've seen it. I reported back to the poster that they had become famous to show up on the first page of a Google search. Like #4 or something.

[/quote

D'Akey, Google on "fractal design color picker" without the quotes. A forum thread makes it to number 2 in the search results; an interesting thread with names you'll recognize.
    Best, Byron

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
    Ive seen it happening on lots of forums, not just this one.
    And many times, when searching for something myself - I have been led via a particular post on a forum, which sparked my interest so I joined that forum which I would otherwise never have known about

Thanks Rowena, yes, true; I too recall I've been routed to a number of forums from search results, occasionally helpful getting some question or other answered. It's just a reminder that anything posted in a forum lives forever for the world to see, a reminder to choose one's words for posterity

Gallery
    View images
    For some added fun... do a search on google of your screen name you use on the forum. Then click on web>images... amazing what will show up. friends' avatars, posts from ambient, flickr, deviant art, etc.

PS. if you are the first one to comment on a picture... expect to be linked to that image in your image search.

African nude shows up on my second page of image search. It is a darn good thing it is a fantastic painting!
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-03-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    For some added fun... do a search on google of your screen name you use on the forum. Then click on web>images... amazing what will show up. friends' avatars, posts from ambient, flickr, deviant art, etc.

PS. if you are the first one to comment on a picture... expect to be linked to that image in your image search.

African nude shows up on my second page of image search. It is a darn good thing it is a fantastic painting!

Wow, you're right. Just did and is as you say. I see I have YEARS of stuff asssociated with people and events I've long forgotten pop up. Pretty eye-opening. Thanks for the tip.