ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: In Progress: Looking for Suggestions

In Progress: Looking for Suggestions

Obviously, this is not yet finished. I'm still not happy with my portraits. I have some issues with getting the shading to look natural. I'm getting this sort of grubbiness like the shading is too smudgy or too charcoal looking. I really want to go much bolder--more color and a wider gamma range but the unnatural shading seems to get worse. Obviously there's a color issue but I'm not able to find just the right shade or the right technique.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sonobor; 03-02-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: forgot to say "thank you"

Not really sure what has you dis-satisfied here. The only potential shortfall I see is the hair, which could be corrected with a small setting on the pencil tool. Other than that, I think you've done a very fine job here.

I agree

I think you did an excellent job here. The only thing I could suggest is to add a little more highlighting to the hair to match the over all glow. Very nice work.

Very nice portrait. I have a suggestion for your colors. What I do, before I even start to paint the face, is pick about 5 skin tones, starting with the main or base color. Then I keep the color picker in the same range, and go slightly darker and the slightly darker again. Then I go back to the base color and go slightly lighter and then lightest for shine. Then I stick to those skin tones. I might add a 6th darker tone which would be rather like a dark burnt sienna which would be for the really deep shadows, but if you stick in the same general range, you can't go wrong. But always use your best judgment. Look at the reference pic for additional colors you could add that you wouldn't consider a "normal" skin tone. Some purples, blues, yellows, all are present within the shadows and contours of the face. Just don't go overboard with these colors. I always strive to make my portrait study look better than the actual picture. (Fewer wrinkles, less blemishes, leave out a mole,etc) Others tend to go for the raw, gritty look, whichever you decide is totally up to you as the artist.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. If I ever finish it, I post the update.