ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: double portrait

Gallery
    View images

double portrait

here is a double portrait i'm working on as a surprise for my hubby. it's him and his mother several years ago, just before she passed away. the snapshot is very grainy and i am attempting to remove the sunglasses. if you have any ideas i'm all ears.
    thank you for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new 08 small.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	25384  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Earthmama. It looks like you are on the right track. I believe a good finished painting starts with a sturdy well balanced structure (sketch) and it looks like you have that. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Gallery
    View images
    Your doing good so far, especially with the quality of the picture you have to work with. That's one thing I tell my clients, send good clear pictures. If it's grainy or blurry, chances are that the details will be as well, and they face isn't recognizable without those details.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    She looks quite -- well they both look quite filled with love and life. It's a great choice of photos in that regard.

As to the eyes, you have taken on a real challenge, especially owing to the angle, and the lack of reference. I don't know how well you knew her and have what her eyes looked like enough to use your memory to get it right with the help of another photo, perhaps from a different angle.

Try to find a pic that gets the angle and somewhat the lighting.

The best thing I can offer is really take advantage of the layers feature in ArtRage, where you can experiment in a very forgiving way. It will be perfectly in context as if you were painting right on the painting. But you can keep trying that way until it works, and it will match whatever level of finish you get into the rest of the painting. It's a 'see as you go' kind of thing. Get the shapes down first and then the skin tone and shadows etc.

I don't know how to do this in ArtRage (others may offer suggestions), but if you have a program that lends itself to photo manipulation, you can splice eyes from another photo onto this one like a photo retoucher might (with all the tricks that they use). And then you can use that as the original and paint from that.

Those are the only two procedures I can think of.

Challenging. But if you decide you can't quite pull it off, you can always include the glasses as they appear. I think it's a charming, warm photo.

Let us know how you do!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    everyone, thank you for your interest and comments. i'm sorry it's been so long since i've posted any replies. this new puppy is like having an infant in the house. jeez!
    sketch: thank you
    dali: thank you. you do portraits for profit? sweeeet! i'm gonna have to ask you one day how to start all that.
    dakey: ya, i chose that pic because of the life in the two of the them. unfortunately, i didn't know her. my husband has told me that the two of us would have got along famously, unlike her mother and i do (it's like oil and water with us). so i'm going off of the family resemblance between my husband, her mother and my son (who does occasionally get an expression that reminds me of her photos).

Gallery
    View images
    the layers are the best thing about artrage. i have something like 20 working now.

Name:	new 13 small.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	26240  

Gallery
    View images
    Nice progress Earthmama! I wish I could say it looks like her, but I don't know her. I can say that it looks like the making of a great portrait. Stick with it. Im sure your husband will be very impressed by your art and your gesture! Can't wait to see it done.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    well well well.
    i'm so glad this is nearly done. i finally showed it to the hubby, who looked like he was quite pleased with the present. he gave me some pointers and i've run with them. unfortunately he can't remember the precise shade of her eyes. "they're brown, like mine." i'm just glad when he looks at my eyes. the picture is almost done.
    sketch, i'm so sorry it's taken so long but thank you for the wonderful comment.

Name:	new 22 small.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	27269