ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbnail Viewer Doesn't Work???

Thumbnail Viewer Doesn't Work???

Team,
    I downloaded and installed the .ptg Thumbnail Viewer, but don't see them in then file manager (Vista SP1, ArtRage Full Version). In Vista you normally see thumbnails selecting the "icon" views in the Vista file manager? Is this correct? Next step??

Thanks,
    byron

I vaguely recall that the thumbnails are not generated until you save (re-save?) the files. Don't quote me on this, though.

It would be easy to test -- just open a file, make a small change, and save. Also, check for thumbnails on new files (versus older ones).

D.
    David Z

Quote Originally Posted by drzeller View Post
    I vaguely recall that the thumbnails are not generated until you save (re-save?) the files. Don't quote me on this, though.

It would be easy to test -- just open a file, make a small change, and save. Also, check for thumbnails on new files (versus older ones).

D.

Thanks drz. Gave it a go, but alas, it's a no go. Not sure where to go now. Let's see if DaveRage chimes in.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Be well,
    Byron

Try clicking on 'Organize', go to 'Folder & Search Options View' then unchecking "Always show icons, never thumbnails" before confirming with OK.

Also, check that your icon size is medium or higher if that doesn't help. Right click inside the folder ( not on an icon ), select 'View' and then an icon size.

Check that you see a thumbnail for a jpg file if you put it in the same folder to see if Vista's thumbnails in general are working with that configuration.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Try clicking on 'Organize', go to 'Folder & Search Options View' then unchecking "Always show icons, never thumbnails" before confirming with OK.

Also, check that your icon size is medium or higher if that doesn't help. Right click inside the folder ( not on an icon ), select 'View' and then an icon size.

Check that you see a thumbnail for a jpg file if you put it in the same folder to see if Vista's thumbnails in general are working with that configuration.
    Hi Dave,
    Had already done the above, and tried again a few more times with fingers crossed. No luck. Thumbnails are working for everything but the .ptg file? What might we try next.
    Best,
    Byron

Try shifting the ARThumb.dll to the directory Windows\ShellNew

Then from the Windows start menu, select 'run' and type:
    regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\ARThumb.dll
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    Try shifting the ARThumb.dll to the directory Windows\ShellNew

Then from the Windows start menu, select 'run' and type:
    regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\ARThumb.dll

Andy, can't find artthumb.dll anywhere on any drive; consequently
    1. Reninstalled. At end got message that software may not have installed properly and install again.
    2. Installed again. It installed. No messages. I rebooted.
    3. No luck. Still can't find ARTthumb.dll anywhere. No thumbnails for .ptg files.

FYI, I have a 32 bit version of Windows Vista and am using the ArtRage 32 bit installation file.

Strange the .dll isn't anywhere. Where would the installer most likely have put it? I can go directly to that folder and see if I can find it.

Likewise, perhaps I should download the software again and try from scratch??

Any suggestions welcome.

Best,
    Byron

ARThumb, not ARTthumb. (One 't')

It was probably installed in your system32 directory, but Vista doesn't really like it there.

It may just not work - the thumbnail viewer hasn't been tested very extensively with Vista, and isn't a Vista certified application.
    One of the things on my (very long!) 'to do' list is re-write the thumbnail dll to make it more Vista-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    ARThumb, not ARTthumb. (One 't')

It was probably installed in your system32 directory, but Vista doesn't really like it there.

It may just not work - the thumbnail viewer hasn't been tested very extensively with Vista, and isn't a Vista certified application.
    One of the things on my (very long!) 'to do' list is re-write the thumbnail dll to make it more Vista-friendly.

Andy, yes, was in system32. I couldn't find before because I was spelling wrong in the file search (artthumb.dll).

I moved the .dll to "shellnew" and ran the registry call from "run". However, the action failed to process the registry changes - see attached screenshot for error message. I searched the error code, but couldn't make much of what I found. Do you have the steps for changing the registery manually? Perhaps we could give that one last try before throwing in the towel???? If we've reached a dead in, is there a way to reverse the install, just to be safe?

Thanks.
    Byron
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Best just ignore it then until I get around to re-writing the thumbnail dll.

Are you logged in with admin rights? You could re-try registering the dll from the System32 folder, or the System32\ShellExt folder.

If you delete the dll, it should be fine - the registration didn't work so nothing will be looking for it.