ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portrait of Billie Piper from Doctor Who

Portrait of Billie Piper from Doctor Who

Finally finished it, this was an all-nighter. It is now 7 a.m. and time for the day to begin again. I think I'll put on a pot of coffee and pull out my pencils for a portrait that is long overdue. I added a portrait tutorial for this one in the tips and tricks section if anyone likes to know how I made this portrait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	billie1.jpg 
Views:	1693 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	25098  
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Wonderful job Dali... You truly have a gift.

OK, I think I have to start watching this show! You are off the charts Dali with your depictions of people. The skin and flesh here is utterly convincing, and what a charming personage you have chosen to paint! I will check out your how to! Great job!
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Wow! What a babe. . .

An image where cuteness is the reason for being, it's not so easy to pull off. . . Just like in real life, where a beautiful girl is even a little off it really shows. This is great.

The limited palette and smoothness reminds me a little of the later day pin-up illustrator Olivia's style.

Very nice work. All the extra time was not at all wasted.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

It's so perfect it looks like You painted her "noumenon", i.e. the Platonic idea of her, more than the real one (the "phenomenon").
    I'm sure she's got not even a naevus on her skin! Nonetheless there's a little point to inicate. The two shoes seem not to be from the same pair (look to the number of shoestrings).
    How did i notice? You know, I'm so gallantly polite I would not just keep staring to the only parts men use to look at! (for that purpose I rather use the peripherical vision initially, not to give a first bad impressions)

Apart from jokes Your skill became really terrific, dear Michelle! Did You use airbrush to get such a smooth fantastic color tones transition?
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thank you barnburner for your kind words.
    And thanks Rob, it really is a good show to watch, although, she's not on inthe next season...but there is another babe coming so tune in for that one.
    Thanks DAkey, I really would have liked to have been a pin-up artist in another life...who knows, maybe I was one.
    Thanks Caesar, you have such an eye for detail, and I pondered that shoe for awhile as I drew it, wondering if I should stick to what I saw, or go ahead and draw a second strap, but I went ahead and left it as I saw it. I figured her shoe had come down a little in the picture, and the strap was now resting somewhere above her toes. Could be why they chose to crop her toes in the actual photograph. Otherwise, I would have left such delightful toes in the frame. Darn shoe problems, even runway models cannot get away from them, but perhaps I as the artist should have drawn it in anyway.

And yes, the airbrush is my favorite tool for that smooth finish. I never do a portrait without using it. I have a real one at home, rather noisy, paint clogs the contraption at times and then it splatters everywhere. I never really got the hang of the real thing. I loved its effects, but not how difficult it was, and I absolutely abhor cutting out friskets. That's why AR is so simple for that task.
    Visit my Gallery!

Dali,

Once again you´ve given us a stunning portrait! Your work never ceases to amaze me!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Thank you Scott, I appreciate you taking a look at my new one.
    Visit my Gallery!

Quote Originally Posted by dali View Post
    And yes, the airbrush is my favorite tool for that smooth finish. I never do a portrait without using it. I have a real one at home, rather noisy, paint clogs the contraption at times and then it splatters everywhere. I never really got the hang of the real thing. I loved its effects, but not how difficult it was, and I absolutely abhor cutting out friskets. That's why AR is so simple for that task.
    If it's spitting, it could mean that your nozzle is cracked. If you know how, take it out and look at it under a photo lupe if you have one. You doubtless have a microscope or something somewhere at the hospital. But at the place where the needle slides though, if you were rough with it, it could have split from jamming the needle through trying to fix a clog or something.

It could also be caused by too low pressure from your compressor.

It could also be the paint had little goobers in it.

Those are the main causes. It could also be that it doesn't like you either and was so angry it could spit.

I got to where the only paint thing I ever used it for was laying in skies.

Another cool use was to use water in it in order to moisten the art when painting acrylics to soften the edge or for brush blending. One does it using a regular intermittent burst of mist -- not too much at a time. I often painted with that in my left hand. Plus it kept it from spitting paint in an annoying way when airbrushing paint.

And then again, there's digital art, haha. Keeps the lungs clear and the room free of paint dust.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Excellent portrait, Your style is perfection, nicely done...