ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Crash when attempting to resize image import to layer

Crash when attempting to resize image import to layer

Hi, new user here. I have a crash occuring when I import an image to layer, then attempt to resize the image with alt+left click and drag the mouse about 30 pixels.

I've been able to reproduce the problem several times and it seems consistant when I am upscaling... *cringe* Is this punishment for upscaling? I know it looks awful. My machine has plenty of RAM, ect so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I sent error reports twice. I am posting here to ask if it's a known bug. Didn't find anything when I searched the forums before posting.

This one bug left me rocking in the corner mumbling, "Save early, save often" over and over again but I'm thrilled with all the features in this program.

How large are the images you're importing? Alt+Left click is the shortcut for the color picker when it comes to the canvas controls. Or did you mean you imported the image as a stencil, because then the "Alt+left click" would be used to scale the stencil. That or you meant "Shift+Right click", which zooms in or out by moving the mouse (but doesn't scale the image size in terms of dimension or resolution). Personally, I've never had a crash when zooming in on an image, but then I haven't really had a need to import a really large image yet.

P.S. - You may want to post the type of computer you're using along with the specs for it, for when one of the ArtRage team comes in to help. It could help them figure out the problem in the long run.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 02-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Specs and more info

Good thinking!
    I pasted in a 28k, 40k and 795k JPEG and had the same results.

I am not pasting it in as a tracing layer - I started using the program yesterday and don't know how to use that feature yet. I experimented a bit with it, and the "picking up the color of the tracing image" was too unusual for me. I'm prefering to trace it on a separate layer like I do in real life with acetate, and works best with the style I'm going for which needs strong outlines. After I trace it, I delete the imported image layer.

After this project deadline I'll play around with it more.

Specs : I'm using ArtRage 2.5.20 on a Windows XP with a dual core processor and 2 GB of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by forty2stars View Post
    I am not pasting it in as a tracing layer. I experimented a bit with it, and the "picking up the color of the tracing image" was too unusual for me. I'm prefering to trace it on a separate layer like I do in real life with acetate, and works best with the style I'm going for which needs strong outlines. After I trace it, I delete the imported image layer.
    Hello again,

The "Tracing Paper" option puts the image over your drawing as a transparency. You can change it's opacity using the "Edit Tracing" option that appears after you've loaded a tracing and can access it by going to the panel at the bottom of your screen and clicking on the "Tracing" tab, or by going to "Tools > Tracing Options >"Edit Tracing Image". You can turn off the "Using Trace Color" option by clicking on the Color Picker window (where it will reads "Using Trace Color, Click for Normal color", or turn it back on by going to "Tools > Tracing Options > Choose Colors from Tracing Image". Since the tracing is over your image, any marks you put down will appear as though they are lighter then you want them, but if you hide the tracing (toggled on/off using the "T" key on your keyboard) you can view the actual image you'd end up with were you to export it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi there!

Sorry to hear you're having a problem there. I've done some testing here and managed to reproduce the problem now.

When you import an image to layer, the positioning toolbar is shown to allow you to resize and move the image around. If you specifically use alt+left click at that point when the pan tool ( 4 way arrow ) is active to attempt to resize the image, a crash occurs.

To avoid the problem occuring, use the scale tool in the toolbar ( the magnifying glass ) instead of the keyboard alt+left click shortcut as this doesn't crash. The alt+left click shortcut wasn't intended to be active at this point, an oversight on our part! I've just added this to our buglist here for us to look at. I hope that helps, thanks for letting us know!

In the event of a crash, ArtRage attempts to save a temporary file to your user data folder in Windows XP e.g:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\ar2restart.ptg

So, if you've had a crash it may be worthwhile checking there to see if ArtRage was able to successfully save the painting.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Resident tech-support. What other software can boast that? You guys are the best.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help with the tracing feature, Someonesane! I understand it much better now.

DaveRage: Glad that I could help with the debugging and thanks for pointing me to the recovery file path!

I'm thrilled with ArtRage and posted the link to my facebook to prod some of my other computer art loving friends to check it out. There is a lot to love with this program (in addition to Tycho, the easter egg cat).