ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: size of tools

size of tools

Hi all,

I'm wondering why the tool size depends on paper size ?
    It's strange because depending on the paper size the maximum size is not the same.
    In real world, my pencil doesn't reduce when I take a bigger paper sheet !

Just a thought

Actually I found the mistake : to compare I have to set the zoom to 100% for each paper size, and by default zoom is 50% for 2000px width.
    In this case the tools are the same size.
    So no problem.
    Actually, the tools could be size to > 100% because with 2000px, for example, the airbrush seems a bit little.

We added a technical feature to ArtRage 2.5 to allow users to break the 100% size limit which might be useful for you. You can click once on the size preview to bring up a text entry box for the size percentage. When you do this, values up to 500% can be entered.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Airbrush is one of those tools that needs to be larger than the ratio. I've had to scale down close up large scale portraits because I can't get the airbrush as large as I need to make a portrait smooth. Especially because once you enlarge the airbrush, it slows the system down. Any fix for that?
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

The airbrush is pretty resource intensive due to all the calculations involved so it will tend to be slower at larger sizes. The speed of large tools will vary depending on system resources and there's not really anything that can be done in ArtRage to help with that although you can toggle the lights off temporarily via pressing the F5 key which can help with performance.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the information about numerical entry, it's a good thing.

I don't find F5 in the manual and actually don't see any difference, and there is no menu item that shows the current state.

Not really the same subject : when I'm using a pencil I cannot get the full black area because even if I'm drawing several times on the same area, it keeps white dots. I guess it's the granular surface emulation but I was expecting that if I insist on the same place I could get a totally black area.

The F5 light toggle is not in the manual or interface, it was an unofficial technical feature added in 2.5 as we had a few people request this option. We may look at adding this to the interface and documentation in a future update though.

Lights are always on by default when you start ArtRage / load a painting / create a new painting and a single press of F5 turns them off. This is particularly visible if you have a stroke of metallic paint for example, as metallics rely particularly heavily on lighting. Pressing F5 will make the stroke look more flat as the highlights and shadows will disappear.

Regarding the dots from the paper grain showing through, decreasing the softness value of the pencil will make it press into the paper grain more, so you can experiment with what value feels best to you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    The F5 light toggle is not in the manual or interface, it was an unofficial technical feature added in 2.5 as we had a few people request this option. We may look at adding this to the interface and documentation in a future update though.
    DaveRage, the F5 is a really helpful feature for many reasons. For example, I use it constantly for evaluating light balances in abstract paintings. Seems worthy of documenting and putting on the keyboard shortcuts list.

Meanwhile, I discovered the thing by accidently hitting F5 and noticing the entire painting changed and spent about an hour trying to figure out what the heck I'd done . Maybe a toggle button on the tools pallet would help eliminate something like this (just a suggestion??)??? I was elated when I stumbled upon what happened and now use the F5 toggle purposefully all the time.

ArtRage is cool. You guys created one heck of a great product.

We are planning on putting in an interface for turning lights on and off in ArtRage 3. Glad to hear that you find it useful! And agreed, if you accidentally hit the shortcut key / key combo for a feature it's nice to have something there to explain what just happened
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave always gets to make the big feature announcements!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.