ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Planets?

Question Planets?

I am new to ArtRage and am enjoying the software very much. I am trying to create a scene in space and am struggling with making the planets 3d. I have tried a few stencils but my "planet" still seems flat. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful and when I finally finish the piece I will acknowledge all those that have helped.

Many Thanks, a frustrated but eager ArtRager.

Welcome 3gbunny.

First of all planets are a very cool subject.... i hope your show your work when your finished!

Some tricks.
    -Use the stencils as you already did.
    -Use the same stencil as you did for the planet also for the atmosphere...just scale it a little bit!
    -Use different layers if you can, for body & atmosphere, and you can finally merge all planet layers together and move the planet around if you want
    -Check where your sun (or another star) is and check the lighting. For that check varous pictures of phases of the moon or other planets..
    -And well make it interessting by showing the planet in a phase between full and hidden... or just show a part of it. i've done this only in artrage... and i can give you some more tips if you want or in special

greez & happy painting

maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the advise Maror - Could you direct me to any "planet" stencils as I am merely using smoke, gradients and circles?

hehe...you wanna a finished planet stencil?

i think the only two wich are necessary are the circle and the ruler...the rest you cann paint by yourself...wich is more fun i can tell you

but here how i set up:

use the circle stencil below...it's better than the default circle stencil for planets. dont forget that you cna invert the stencil in the context menu...i did that with the great circle...
    to check the result simply press f5/f6 to hide and unhide all stencils!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hole.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	24990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	result.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	24992  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Wink Thanks, again

Right i see thanks so much for your assistance, as stated in my first post when I do put this piece up, I will credit you for your excellent assistance, once again many, many thanks.

3gbunny