ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: river cliff

river cliff

This is a long way from finished ... but I'm not happy with what I have. It just doesn't somehow feel right.

I need suggestions on what to do to improve what I have before I continue with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

I think you have some good elements going here. The rocky mountainsides are well done ( was that a stencil? looks good).
    I rarely do landscapes ( and there are some real masters here you can learn from) but I would encourage taking advantage of artrages ability to allow you to experiment as wildly as you want, and always have your original in safe keeping. This is very freeing!
    Just set a layer up above your current work, and start playing on top of it, you will get good and bad results, but can always delete the layer and have your painting back as good as new.
    Play with the opacity settings on the layers. See how some transparent colors can enliven and shade your work. Try putting a 100% color on your layer, and then start lowering the opacity and watch what happens to it--this could give you ideas to follow.
    Try the shading mode sometimes instead of the normal one. Very cool device these guys made for us!
    Playfulness and making mistakes ( and getting some successful finds) is the way to learn and grow.
    This might not help you directly with this painting, but is more of a long range approach to developing your abilities.
    You have as i said, what looks like a good start, and you do have talent!
    Believe in it and go for it.
    Hope this was some help.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

shading mode?

I know and use the opacity adjustment but don't know about the shading mode. Hadn't heard about it before. Will have to look in the manual I guess to see what that is all about.

Very many thanks for the comments .... much appreciated.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

I called it a little wrong, it is under "blend" modes. Click on normal, and you will get a choice of normal, shadow, and highlight. I was referring to the Shadow. It will create shadows quite effectively.
    It is fun to play with the dozens of other blends that are offered, though you probably will rarely find a use for them.
    If I were to venture a suggestion on this painting it might be to think about something in the foreground, a bush or tree, or rock to give the background some depth.
    As always do it on a layer, then you can move it around, make it bigger or smaller, play with the opacity. Just have fun.
    Hit delete if you don't like the concept after fooling with it.
    I wish "real" paintings were so forgiving! Thats why it is great to design in Artrage then do it in real paints from there.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Thanks

Thanks for mentioning the Modes. I had never looked at that before. Found them in the manual then went a played a bit.

They can indeed make some great effects! Very handy.

Yes, the foreground hasn't even been stated. Eventually the blue area will only be a river / stream with a bit of land in the foreground. There is much to be done yet. Just haven't felt right about what I had so far. Not satisfied with it so I will keep trying things until something clicks.

Thanks again for the modes tip.