View Poll Results: Is this a good first attempt?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes,

4 80.00%
  • no

1 20.00%

Thread: Portraits - advice please

Gallery
    View images

Portraits - advice please

Portraits are one of the most lucrative forms of art.

And although I doubt I will be able to make any money off of them... I like trying them for the challenge and so I can share my talents with my friends.

Can you give me any hints how to make this portrait better? Despcially the eyes, which I already know are not symmetrical... but I am short on time. I am just overjoyed to have finished my first portrait ever.

ps I used "Choose colors from Trace Palette" with the Chalk Tool...then I decided that the airbrush would be best.

Try the links or download the two in one JPEG attached to the next post.

My painting
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41805...Ycj5EB3qfb6PXf

The photo
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41805...fmj5EBC7yCnUT9
    “Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Gallery
    View images

Portrait

ok....i see that my picture links did not do what I expected. Did I do something wrong?

ps I used the chalk for a while....then I realized that the different sizes of airbrush would be best. I can use the bigger sizes for the flatter parts of the face, where the color is not changing much, but a finer touch is required for the nose, and jawline.

Pencil to outline jawline, eyes, and nose.

Paint brush to get some texture on the lips. One layer for the bottom lip, then another for the top. OH....and my first later was for the foundation.... the hair and most of the flesh tones.

pps The only place that I did not use, "Choose Trace Color" was for around the eyes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	britvsbritney_191.jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	2433  

“Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry. Still cannot see your work.

Rather than link, couldn't you try posting it as an attachment?

Links usually work though, so I've no idea what happened with yours.

Gallery
    View images
    I attached it to my second post.

Gallery
    View images
    Oh yes, so you did.

Well, you have the resemblance.

I personally think the key to a good portrait is the eyes. And the eyes have volume and subtlety, which if you get them right, you'll be in business.

Remember that the eye is a ball, even though we only see a small portion of it. It does turn and have shadow. It's also a little moister than the surrounding skin. May not seem like much, but it really makes a difference.

Shape is important, but so too are the makeup lines. Note how the lines are not quite as solid as you have them. A little too flat and ancient Egyptian.

Note in the photo how those same lines get thin and thick, and go light and dark. Also eyelashes are natural graphic shapes and are telling - longer on the top of the eye and to the outside.

You may want to check out an anatomy book to know what's going on, and compart it to what you're seeing. If you know how the eye is constructed, you know what to look for that makes each person's distinct.

The rest of the face is pretty good. You may also want to study highlights. Well placed and accurate highlights can describe form and do most of your work for you. Compare the lips with the photo. And bring your lights up more - to give them more of a gloss. You'll see what I mean.

Anyway, it's a great start!

Keep up the good work. If you really learn your chops, you might could make some decent money at it. If you can do people well, you'll have people pounding on your door for your services.

Gallery
    View images
    I believe every tutorial can help with all mediums. So here's a link to my fave portrait tutorials http://furiae.com Go to gallery>tutorials. Lots there.

Gallery
    View images
    Holy mackrel, you found Bumble, the Icon!

Nice site with nice work.

Gallery
    View images
    Joseph....your portrait is very good I like it

Nolita....this site is is amazing,wonderful,excellent....I love it Thank You
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.