ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Full 2.05 update (Win)

Full 2.05 update (Win)

Well, it's a not-so-lazy Sunday morning here, and I thought I'd wash some dishes and pick some nits. The dishes are done, the nits remain. Here they are:

1. The 2.05 update assumes that ArtRage is installed in the default location, instead of detecting where it is actually installed. Thus it wants to update the application in

C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2

instead of seeing that the executable actually exists in

c:\create\artrage

I wouldn't mention this but for the fact that the majority of software updates in recent memory have successfully detected where I originally installed the application, and I of course hold ArtRage to a higher standard than them. =]

2. When I click on the ellipsis button to navigate to the directory where ArtRage is installed, as I double-click on drives/directories, the text in the input field switches to ALL CAPS, for some reason. And y'know, it's just never late enough in the day to look at all caps. =]

3. This is really the tiniest nit of them all. Once the application has been successfully updated, the only thing that remains is to click on "Exit." I could be wrong, but I think that's kind of a paradigm shift for Windows users. If memory serves, isn't "Exit" usually reserved for "Quit without doing anything," while "Finish" is the label used to exit upon an application's successful installation?

Thanks for reading,
    Gita

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Re: Full 2.05 update (Win)

The 2.5-15 update assumes that ArtRage is installed in the default location, instead of detecting where it is actually installed. Thus it added the application in:

C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2

instead of seeing that the executable actually exists in

c:\Program Files\ArtRage

After updating I used my existing shortcut and it brought up the previous version (of course) and asked if I wanted to update to the next version (which I had already done)..

A bit confusing.
    I now have it installed in the default location.
    However, if you allow the option on a new install to put it in a different location you should account for the update going to that other location.

Thanks and thanks for a wonderful product.

...Jeff T

ArtRage now uses an .msi installer on Windows, so you should find that for future updates it will detect the location of the previous version and upgrades rather than defaulting. We had to change from the .exe installer to an .msi installer as part of our work on Vista compliance. That should make things more automatic in future, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design