ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: extreme self portrait

Gallery
    View images

extreme self portrait

self-portrait, 2 hrs in ArtRage... I think I`ll edit it a bit so I can add some flow to increase the movement impression(the skater,me, is moving backwards...from the upper right corner to the lower left)
    I called it extreme because it`s about an extreme sport, rollerblading. I also notice that the upper part of the legs are kinda long, and maybe the right hand is weird (shorter than the left)

c&c appreciated.

Last edited by cutepoison; 02-10-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Great colors! I love the background though you could add some movement stuff to indicate you are grinding backwards. It doesn't read like that yet.

It's a cool action image. I definitely get movement from it, especially since it's a sort of 'normal' trick -- not the backwards part though, hahaha.

As to the background supporting the theme, it's a judgment call. If you think of film, sometimes the figure will be blurry from speed, other times it will be in slow motion to show the almost dance-like quality that gives us a different look at something often beyond our registering those details -- like slowing down some blazing fast guitar licks.

Speed marks are tricky if you haven't done them a lot. There's a whole range of possibilities how to do them from it mirroring the mass of the figure, all the way to softening a trailing edge or even on the way other extreme of blurring the heck out of the background altogether with the figure rock steady action pose like they do in Anime. Again, that's a judgment call what you are trying to feature or parallel reference to another style if you're making one. All part of the voice.

I really like this painting. I look forward to the next phase if you choose to try any of that.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    I like it...I think it looks pretty good as it is..I really like the background...

Gallery
    View images
    thank you both

Gallery
    View images
    Thats great cutepoison, it's very well painted.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    I like the shortstrokes for the background! very cool idea

Gallery
    View images
    Maybe you're right about the movement impression. Anyway, a great painting!

Gallery
    View images
    Overall ,nice impression, I like it
    The pose is action packed but I can not help feeling that the angle of your left arm is a bit unnatural.
    I like the colour use on on your shirt, the material is nicely modelled.
    As for the background, nice colour and texture, but the composition (white space) could be more interesting and be used for help showing the action even more.

Gallery
    View images
    I love your style, great work!
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

Gallery
    View images
    Cutepoison...this is just phenomenal work for doing it in just two hours!!! That alone is just extreme to me! My nephew does the extreme skateboarding still at 35 years of age! You guys are crazy!

You have such a wonderful painting technique that I envy. Beautiful and bold...keep up the great work!