ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beloved

Gallery
    View images

Beloved

Hi there!

Firstly, sorry for my bad English

Now, this is my first really serious work in ArtRage, yet i have played with it about a year. But, i've decided to make a portrait of my lovely girlfriend as a gift for her birthday. So, i'm on it.

I'm painting with Felt Pen with Art Pen ON, and encountered with proplem of picking colors. How do i pick colors, so they would blend more softly?
    Now, i think, that skin color should be changed, yet do not know how to do this.

If someone can help with this work, please do!

Here's the painting in it's current state:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beloved.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	24775  

Gallery
    View images
    And here is the ref foto:

Name:	Reference.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	24777  

Gallery
    View images
    I'd suggest you go to fineart.sk and download "Drawing Head and Hands" by Andrew Loomis. His other books might also help. As would drawing from life - you need the experience before you can successfully work from photographs.

Gallery
    View images
    I think the likeness is really good. You can blend colours better with the crayon tool.
    Here's a link to how I go about it.

Keep it up, and go for it. You'll have a great result ! she will love it !
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Your English is great.
    Forgive that I probably don't speak your language at all.

It's lovely.

There are a few things to look at. This photo is actually quite good. I particularly like the way the color works on her skin there. So you could use the original painting as a palette (picking color straight from the photo). And look carefully at where the color is cooler in the shadows, and where it is pinker, in her cheeks and so on.

So if you pick the corresponding colors and put them in your picture where they were on the photo, you should be in good shape.

And you may also want to pay attention to her hair line. The edge is soft at the top of her forehead and it is sharp where it hangs owing to that they are not connected in those places and thus the areas are more separate looking.

Like Hanzz said, there are tutorials for different things in the Tips & Tricks section.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    hi rony, welcome to artrage!
    like d akey said, use the color sampler tool to pick up all the different skin tones then put them on in that one area, and then smoosh/blend with the palette knife. it takes quite a bit of time, but looks way cool when it's done. except i use the felt pen, not the crayon tool for mine. i set the water level to almost max when laying the base down, then use less water as i get more detailed.
    by the way, your girlfriend's face is wonderful for portraiture. she looks like a very pleasant woman.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks a lot for such warm comments!

D Akey, my language is Russian, so i guess, you really don't speak it Still, thanks

About the color picking, i did just like you all said from the beginnig, but it seems to me, that the tone of color picked is slightly darker, than it really is. Of course, it also can be just my imagination

Speaking about the tutorials, they really helped me allready and i still looking for more. For example, i found nice hair tutorial and worked on her hair. Also, did other improvements.

Here's the current result. I still want to chage face color, can't get the eyes look alive and want to get buisy with left cheek - it looks to flubby (?).

P.S. Figured out how to change color... Lower image shows the result.

Name:	Beloved2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	24790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beloved3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	24828  
    Last edited by Rony; 02-11-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    I've been away for a couple of days and so I haven't seen this thread before now. What strikes me are how determined you are and how much you've been able to adjust and improve on your first image. I predict that in a short time you'll be doing tutorials here. Welcome to here Rony.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow, thanks!

Actually, right now i have a kind of crysis with this work. Just can't come up with an interesting background and cloth. And it seems to me, that the drawing is to flat.

Gallery
    View images
    It's really coming along beautifully! Very great improvement, and it looks pretty good now.

I think the only thing that is flat is the black of the dress. Everything else is good. I don't think you need anything in the background at all. The subtle brush stroke and color is a good compliment to the head.

The hair is really improved. It shows dimension and has life in the color and highlights. It's not perfectly finessed, but it reflects where you are right now, and that's very legitimate. I myself like it as a painterly indication of hair.

In the face itself, you might look at the original photo for clues as to where you can add dimension. I will suggest that you look around the eyes in particular for the amount of structure that you are so far leaving out. There are bones around the eye that create shadows and light. I would recommend not to overdo it. But you can push your darks farther.

If you decide to do that much, then you will have other areas that will need to show similar dimension or they may not feel right to you. Beware of the areas around the nose and above the upper lip. That is a sensitive area that should perhaps be a little subtler. Also around the chin and mouth. To much contrast in those areas can distort the look and make her look much older.

I'm very impressed with this, and you should be very pleased.

Bravo. Keep looking. And save versions along the way in case you overdo something. You can always revert to a previous version.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-14-2009 at 03:32 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream