Thread: Improved layer transform tool

Gallery
    View images

Improved layer transform tool

I really do love using ArtRage 2, particularly the natural feel of the tools and the way you can rotate around on the canvas like it was a piece of paper (without a lot of loading, like you get in certain other image editors).

But one thing that's bugging me, is the quality of the layer transform tool. Even if all I want to do is grab a layer's contents and move it to a more suitable location, the process takes notably longer than some other image editors and sometimes affects the quality of the layer contents. Most notably is the blurry state the layer contents end up in after being moved - I mainly use ArtRage for drawing and inking line art (I'm a hobby cartoonist), so this drop in quality when I try to move things around does sometimes end in a few poor results (and sometimes forces me to ink over it again to keep the smooth, crispy lines I want). So a Layer Transform tool that doesn't strike down on the quality of the layer contents would be nice. Considered perhaps doing by a "Save as PSD, open in Photoshop, transform contents, save, import into ArtRage" routine as a workaround, but it feels like a lot of hassle for moving a few bits and pieces around.

And while speaking of inking - are there any plans for an inking pen tool of some sort? The Oil Paint pencil with a black color works as well, though it sometimes handles sharp corners and the likes a bit poorly.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Happy Landfill and welcome to the forums.

You are not alone with your suggestions here. Many have posted their thoughts on these mater, so I'd be willing to bet the ArtRage team is working hard on a way to please everyone.

In the meantime, I wonder if you have tried the "Felt Pen" tool for inking yet? I like to use the following settings for the tool:
    Pressure: 50%
    Softness: 100%
    Wetness: 100%
    Art Pen: On
    I used the tool with these settings on the following images:

Image Link

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images

Vague, Blurry, and Unusable!

[QUOTE=
    But one thing that's bugging me, is the quality of the layer transform tool. Even if all I want to do is grab a layer's contents and move it to a more suitable location, the process takes notably longer than some other image editors and sometimes affects the quality of the layer contents. Most notably is the blurry state the layer contents end up in after being moved. So a Layer Transform tool that doesn't strike down on the quality of the layer contents would be nice.
    [/QUOTE]

I second this sentiment. Copying content between layers often results in a drop in image quality. Using the Transform tool to move, rotate, or enlarge/reduce the content results in an vague blurry image. I end up having to re-create everything from scratch. What's the point of an unusable tool?

Gallery
    View images
    If you are zoomed to 100% size on the canvas, the placement of the transform contents should be 1:1 - directly on pixel boundaries - and be non-blurry. If you are zoomed in to, say, 200% then you can place the transform contents on 1/2 pixel boundaries - the result will possibly have a blurred result as the pixels you are copying are interpolated across sub-pixels.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"