ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Friendly Competition for ArtRage2

Some Friendly Competition for ArtRage2

Has anyone seen the new Corel Sketchpad?

It can be found on the corel web site under:

All Products/Illustration and Design

Sorry, I can't post links until I have more posts.

Looks like several of the features were 'borrowed' from ArtRage. Pity that there is no demo of Sketchpad yet, it might be interesting to compare them.

Cheers

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 02-03-2009 at 06:52 AM.

Ok, now I can post links. Here's a direct link to Sketchpad:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...5#tabview=tab0

irishrose Guest
    I wonder if the AR team knows about the borrowing of some features?? Maybe this is why there is no trial?? Hm... maybe they helped to create it?? it does look very familiar... I still think AR is way better.

We didn't have a hand in creating it, we're kinda busy with something else right now
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

irishrose Guest
    Woo hooo!

But Matt, seriously, their interface is so similar... esp that oval ring at the bottom... I would definitely be a bit on the rash side right now. But then, you said you're busy... stay busy! Yes!

Corel have likely produced it to try to grab OEM deals away from ArtRage.
    Their application is hideously overpriced - which gives OEM hardware more perceived value by bundling with more expensive software.

Whatever.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

irishrose Guest
    Andy, I think all of Corel's stuff is hideously overpriced anyway, and this is why I stick with AR. What is the big deal about having all those thousands of choices when you can just pick up a pen and start without having to procrastinate for 2 hours about how you're going to paint.

As you said, WHATEVER. You still will grab the market. I wouldn't pay a dime for that program!

Interesting, but I think that AR 3 will give them a run for their money...yes? can't wait....
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

It looks like a cool program, but I don't see how you are seeing the similarities with artrage unless you had the program. That is a painter triangle in the corner within the circle... been around quite awhile.
    Of course artrage3 will put all the competition to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    It looks like a cool program, but I don't see how you are seeing the similarities with artrage unless you had the program. That is a painter triangle in the corner within the circle... been around quite awhile.
    Of course artrage3 will put all the competition to shame.
    Totally agreed, the picture shows next to nothing. The features list were useful features that were already well known and very useful in Artrage2, Sketchbook Pro and other drawing/painting programs. To ignore useful features would have put their program at a disadvantage. It's just like all cars suddenly have a certain feature. It's not theft as the features are out there in the open for all to see. Copying of look and feel in software has in the past gone to court but has been VERY hard to prove.

Regardless, it's good to have choice. Buy what makes you happy and ignore the other programs. Support of one program does not mean that the other programs are beneath contempt. Unless someone has used the other programs, they really are not in the position to comment on that program to know the good and bad features. In the end it's all just personal opinion anyway.

Cheers