ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Constantly Re-entering Reg Key

Constantly Re-entering Reg Key

How many times is this app going to ask for the registration key?

I've entered it five times so far. It runs for a while fine, but then randomly when restarted it forces entry of the key.

How broken is that?

Installed with the full Windows .msi available on 1/18 on XP.

Is there a solution to this, or do I just keep re-entering it until I get frustrated enough to abandon this app?

That's a strange occurrence, which I can't recall having heard about before. I only had to enter the number once (during install). Don't give up on ArtRage just yet though, it really is a great program. I'm sure one of the ArtRage team will come to the rescue soon (they're always checking the boards).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

That's certainly an odd one, I don't think I've seen that before. You only have to enter the key once. ArtRage asks for its registration key only if the information is not in your system registry. If it accepts the key then runs, then it has succeeded in entering the information into your Windows registry, and then something on your computer is removing the information at a later date ( ArtRage can't do this itself unless you launch ArtRage and hold down the TAB key, which will force ArtRage to ask again ).

I'd recommend firstly temporarily disabling any registry related utilities that may be running and seeing if the behavior changes. Also check that you don't have any keyboard related apps which could be sending a key press message ( tab ) during launch of ArtRage. Additionally, though less likely, give your tab key a couple of taps and make sure that it's not sticky as that could certainly do it.

As more detailed troubleshooting involves checking the system registry / potentially doing a diagnostic startup, I'd recommend emailing me directly at support@ambientdesign.com with the following details so that we can work together on locating the cause:

1/ The names of any background applications which are running, especially virus scanners, registry cleaners or anti-spyware apps

2/ Whether the problem occurs every session, or intermittantly ( it sounds like the latter from your post, but good to know for sure )
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

@DaveRage,

Thanks for the info on the tab. It does seem to make a difference in starting up to tap the tab key before starting... but I fail to see how it could be that key sticking that is causing the problem, for if it were sticking, I would see evidence of it in other apps.

For example, my cursor would be flying between fields on this form while I was trying to type this message.

So it does seem to have solved the symptom, and I thank you--but I'm still going to have to file this one under "how broken is that?"

It's possible that the way ArtRage is reading key information is making it detect the tab key when other apps won't be. If the situation is improved by pressing tab before starting then the tab key being detected is clearly the cause of the problem in ArtRage and it's now important if you want a solution that we find out why this is the case.

We've already had examples of keys being incorrectly flagged as down when Flash is running, so it's possible that some external application is doing something that is giving us the false positive. Please try starting up ArtRage without any other applications running a few times and see if this helps. If the problem was intermittent then it's possible that it was happening when something else was running that was not always running.

If running the application without anything else running does solve the problem over a number of attempts we'll need to track down which application is triggering the problem and we can then try to work out what could be done to help with it.

If it does not solve the problem, we'll need a run down of all the processes you have running in case there is a system level service or utility that is doing something to give us the false positive on the tab key test.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I'm having this problem. I run XP Professional. I believe that Spybot Search & Destroy is running on my computer and that may be what is blocking the key from the registry. I'm not getting the accept or reject box that sometimes happens when installing software that's changing keys in the registry. Ad-Aware is running too. Thank goodness I'm not alone on this one. I'll be looking into how to stop Spybot-SD and Ad-Aware and try again.

The key sensing thing has some validity. Photoshop's hand tool and ArtRage's move tool seem to monitor the space key even when I leave the program to chat in chat programs and IMs and then (depending on how many times I've hit the space) when I flip back the hand/move tool is "On" instead of the tool I left active. Photoshop had been doing this for close to a year and I still don't know why. But that ArtRage is the same has pinned down the problem as not in my head... and maybe not Photoshop's fault... Microsoft is messing things up!

If closing down those apps before launching ArtRage and adding the key doesn't help, feel free to email me at support@ambientdesign.com and I can check a few more things with you in detail to see if we can see what's going on there.

Regarding the canvas moving, we've noticed that the standard Flash plugin for web browsers ( for viewing animations, youtube etc ) can set the spacebar status to down within the OS, even when it's not. So when you switch back to ArtRage, it may be picking up on that. If you tap the spacebar once at that point it should reset it.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I have Spybot on my machine but it doesn't give me any issues with AR or anything else. Although I have no BG process running for Spybot, eg, I have no Tea timer and other stuff enabled. Spybot only runs when I want it to run.

And I don't agree with the "how broken is that" statement either. I think maybe your system is broken (eg, bloated with various little system issues that were piled up and accumulated during the years) to such an extent that it needs a clean reinstall.
    --LES

Good news is that removing Spybot-SD has helped the registration issue. So, just common sense to disable virus protection when installing software. Thanks for the reminder. My software opens fine now.

The move tool issue continues. The randomness of whether it's one or two taps of the space to get out of the mode is what is crazy. I gave removing the Flash plug-in a try. I felt for a few application flips in and out of Photoshop, Digsby, mIRC and ArtRage that there was improvement. But eventually Photoshop began to be really buggy and another issue I've been having with Windows surfaced so that really goes beyond the subject of the thread here. The computer is old, the version of Photoshop I have is really old, so it simply might be the end of the road for it. A rebuild of Windows is far from fun but might be the only solution. I'll continue via email with anyone who's got more ideas.