Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maternity pic to paint using Starter Edition

Arrow Maternity pic to paint using Starter Edition

Hello

I am a photographer and took this picture during a maternity shoot and wanted to turn it into a painting for my client. I have painter X but have not had the time to figure it all out pretty complex I need to get a book actually. Anyway i downloaded the starter edition and was trying to work on this pic. I worked on the hair, rose and covering on her legs below her belly. But not sure how to attempt to do the skin. I think because I amusing the starter edition I am limited.

Here is the photo and the image I am working on.

Did these effects in my PSP XII but still not the effects I want.

Here it is in BW

I took the BW and turned it into a pencil drawing in PSP XII like this

However wasn't too pleased with the pencil effect

Using ArtRage and not finished

Here I did the lips next not sure if they are right?

I bought the Corel Painter X to get the watercolor and paining looks but this Art Rage looks more user friendly. Anyone use both and think the same? I think the skin tones I can't get unless I upgrade is that true?

what steps would I take to get flesh skin tones on her? and define the edges of her body?

Any critique would be great thanks

UPDATE: See page 2 for finished painting
    Last edited by primeau95; 01-30-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    What do you mean by upgrade? You mean buy the program and get all the features? Yeah. I'd say.

At the very least layers are pretty much a must as far as I'm concerned in all cases.

I'm really not sure where you're going with this, the photo being so amazingly cool. Are you trying to make it look really painterly, sketchy or tight, like a tinted photo? Or are you just playing around?

One can go with pushing color, introducing painted accents in shadows and highlight areas, it can be, like I said, a tinted photo which we all know that look. Sweedie did a tutorial on that and it's somewhere on the site (Tips & Tricks?)

You can also use the blender and just use the colors you have already in the photo as a palette.

Lots of things possible -- all fun.

I really like that photo. If you can bring your eye to create that kind of image, you will no doubt do well painting.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    What do you mean by upgrade? You mean buy the program and get all the features? Yeah. I'd say.

At the very least layers are pretty much a must as far as I'm concerned in all cases.

I'm really not sure where you're going with this, the photo being so amazingly cool. Are you trying to make it look really painterly, sketchy or tight, like a tinted photo? Or are you just playing around?

One can go with pushing color, introducing painted accents in shadows and highlight areas, it can be, like I said, a tinted photo which we all know that look. Sweedie did a tutorial on that and it's somewhere on the site (Tips & Tricks?)

You can also use the blender and just use the colors you have already in the photo as a palette.

Lots of things possible -- all fun.

I really like that photo. If you can bring your eye to create that kind of image, you will no doubt do well painting.

Yes sorry I meant to say buy the program, LOL which I am soon.

Ok what I am trying to do is preserve the beauty of this great shot you see I got into a co-op studio had this woman show at 38wks along expecting to do a maternity shoot before she delivered. When I showed up moments before here all and I mean ALL the studio lights and equiptment were GONE!! I was freaking out!! She shows up and I was on the phone with the so call owner and he said someone broke several pieces of equiptment the day before and he so he pulled it all out. He knew I was schedualed to do a shoot he didn't call me or let anyone know. Turns out no one broke anything this man was not the owner he was a scammer renting the building who was behind in his rent took 10 photographes for there money first and last and a few months rent and ran off. So I was determined to shoot this woman since she wanted to be semi nude I couldn't say lets go outside. So I shot in Raw with a Black & White card to try and get the lighting right. It was quite the challenge. I have an eye and did well however there was a lot of noise and this particular shot was a bit blury, so in my experience when you have a great shot and you have done all you can to fix it up you then get artistic with it. So I am not trying to create the best artistic look I can with it. Watercolor, painting, oil paint whatever I can to get this shot to look it's best.

So I was trying to see what I could do with it with ArtRage since I am pressed for time to get her pics finished and don't have the time to figure out my Painter X with is quite the learning curve.

What I was wanting to know if for one how does it look so far, hair, lips, rose and bottom cover? Secondly what tools to use for skin. I watched a video at artrage.it

This one here he makes it look so easy doing the sking, eyes and lips LOL but when I do the skin it looks a mess....
    http://www.artrage.it/tutorial/Potra...Beginners.html

anyway that is what I am trying to do

thanks
    Rabecca

Gallery
    View images
    Wow, and you're in a hurry on top of wanting to learn and master a new program to please a pregnant mom who wanted to remember the moment and who posed nude to look ideal?

Phew! Talk about a challenge.

I would say play to your strengths.

You need layers which the full version has.

There are lots of tools that can be used other than the oil brush. There's airbrush and and eraser combo for the soft smooth areas, and there's all kinds of tools for precision that may not be what jumps to mind immediately when one thinks 'portrait'. Have to look at what they do.

Look up blending also in Tips & Tricks. There are brush settings that allow for that. . . I think under oil brush.

Overall, I would suggest avoiding getting too technique crazy though -- just a gut feeling.

Good luck. Others will likely have things to say on it. Meanwhile check the Tips & Tricks as they're are a lot of things to look at to give you ideas, and show how they were done.

You'll do great.

That was an amazing story about your photo shoot. Crikey.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    I really like this photo a lot. Very artistic feel to me already.

Gallery
    View images
    I have to agree with D Akey, in that knowing the program you are using is an essential to producing a good product. Simple tricks picked up through trial an error of use can really make the difference in the outcome. But this aside, there are a few tricks that I have picked up which may help you out, and can be done using the free Starter Addition (but for $25 US you really should think about just buying the full edition, since it's just an absolutely amazing program). So here are some tips:
    - You can't use layers, so you'll have to do with just the one, so make sure to plan ahead by having a set idea in mind.

- You can't use reference images in the Started Edition, so I'd recomend importing the image in and then expanding the canvas so you can have it off to the side of where you plan to work.

- Since you're in a hurry, you may want to try and use the Load Tracing Image option to get a jump start on getting the composition of the figure down, or even lay down some of the blocking in for the paint.

- The Starter Edition only lets you use the flat edge palette knife, so getting a smooth blend can often be troublesome. If you need to smear the paint, try setting the paper grain option for the layer to something smooth ("roughness = 0%), like the "Cell" preset paper setting, and then use the crayon (pressing lightly). The crayon will add a bit of the color you have selected, but at the same time will smear with the colors you are drawing over.
    As an example, I used these methods on the following image using only the Oil Paint, Pencil, and Crayon tools on a single layer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preg.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	24486  

Last edited by Someonesane; 01-30-2009 at 12:29 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for advice everyone, I should clarify I by no means plan on rushing a photo like this I spend hours upon hours through out the day and into the late hours of the morning working I have 5 kids 4 at home LOL three of which are under the age of six. So I am up and down all day working. When I say I don't have time to learn my PainterX program right now its more so because I have 0ver 100 photo's from this shoot to sort through and determine which ones to work on. If it was a normal shoot with the proper lighting it wouldn't be so time consuming. I am a pretty fast learner and ArtRage seems like a program I can pick it up quicker. I do plan on downloading the entire program hopefully this week. For now I am trying to read all I can here and gleen from all you who know the program, so thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

I would like to get a hard copy vrs just downloading in case my system ever were to go down I don't want to lose the program and not have it KWIM.

Well back to work I will post my finished work

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by primeau95 View Post
    I would like to get a hard copy vrs just downloading in case my system ever were to go down I don't want to lose the program and not have it KWIM.
    If you chose to download the full edition, you can always back up the download and key on a USB Thumb Drive, memory card, or even a CD. It'll still work if you ever need to reinstall.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    If you chose to download the full edition, you can always back up the download and key on a USB Thumb Drive, memory card, or even a CD. It'll still work if you ever need to reinstall.
    Oh really didn't know that thanks

Rabecca

Ok what do you think of it so far? do you like the hair? I added some brown and definition to it. How does the skin look? the shadowing?