ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Is it possible in Artrage to ...

Gallery
    View images

Is it possible in Artrage to ...

make a mirror?

I wanted to make a picture of a room and put in a dresser with a mirror but can't figure how to make a shiny surface that looks like a mirror.

To put the reflection in a surface isn't a problem but making it look like a mirror is something I haven't been able to figure out.
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Gallery
    View images
    I seem to recall reading somewhere, and long ago, that the typical mirror only reflects about 85% of the light that impinges upon it. I'm sure that there are any number of ways that that you could use other programs to paste something onto an ArtRage painting. That of course raises the problems of sizing and proportioning to gain a perfect fit. Instead, I'd suggest using ArtRage's layering possibilities, maybe in conjunction with some rulers to act as borders, and lay your reflected image onto a black area.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Arizona Willie, hmmm? thought about what Robert said, and please excuse the terrible drawing, but, maybe a simple blurr or soft spray or a little crack on the mirror would be enough, good question, or i could MYOB!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dear Arizona Willie, hmmm? thought about what Robert said, and please excuse the terrible drawing, but, maybe a simple blurr or soft spray or a little crack on the mirror would be enough, good question, or i could MYOB!
    Lee thats cool very simple but looks really cool, i think it would be harder to do something with alot of detail
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Willie View Post
    make a mirror?

I wanted to make a picture of a room and put in a dresser with a mirror but can't figure how to make a shiny surface that looks like a mirror.

To put the reflection in a surface isn't a problem but making it look like a mirror is something I haven't been able to figure out.
    You can use the "gradient stencil" of artrage. You can select the white color and use it with a gradient to the picture.
    The secret for a realistic mirror it's inside the lights that you use in your paintings.
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

Gallery
    View images
    Lee ... thanks for the suggestion ... looks like you are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Gallery
    View images
    misterpaint ... I don't totally understand that ... will have to look into the "gradient stencil " thing.

Quote Originally Posted by misterpaint View Post
    You can use the "gradient stencil" of artrage. You can select the white color and use it with a gradient to the picture.
    The secret for a realistic mirror it's inside the lights that you use in your paintings.

Gallery
    View images
    misterpaint ... I don't totally understand that ... will have to look into the "gradient stencil " thing.

Quote Originally Posted by misterpaint View Post

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Arizona Willie, still thinking,,,,, about what Mr. Paint and Cripster said too,, to look at a mirror reflection there is the angle, which i could not do here, and i notice a bit of distortion and also some mirrors reflect a bit off-color with a blue or tan tint maybe, but tried again, and came up with another poor try, again used the spray tool, a bit of grey and dashes of white with a few ruler made streaks, keep trying and let us know what you come up with,,,,,

Gallery
    View images
    Aw geeze, people.

Mirrors are designed to give good reflection. They are about the most perfectly reflective surfaces you find in a house. You don't normally see the mirror itself, just the reflection! The mirror does not glare unless it is dirty, the mirror does not perceptibly darken the image, the mirror just accurately reflects the surroundings. A silver mirror reflects over 95% of light, and the losses are mostly due to the glass.

About all that you could see besides the reflection would be dirt, and in case of havy dirt you'll see the streaky moire effect due to reflection of the dirt on the glass surface in the actual mirror metal layer. And you could see the green thickness of glass if the mirror is not framed, of course, and cracks if there are any. In short, you see the reflection and the imperfections.

To make an accurate reflection, just compute the perspective as if the same room and object were behind the mirror, flipped about. Treat the mirror as a window to that "flipped universe" and construct the perspective normally. Norling has a chapter dedicated to reflections, I believe.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine that include mirrors, broken in one case.