Thread: Canvas Sizes

Gallery
    View images

Canvas Sizes

Hi folks, I'm new to Artrage and am having major problems figuring out canvas sizes and imported photo sizes. I posted here a couple of days ago but it still hasn't clarified things so any help would be greatly appreciated. I intend to make horizontal A3 sized prints of my work so I've been putting the canvas dimensions as W:420mm x H:297mm is this correct and also is there a reason why when I type dimensions into the boxes a little more gets added on? For instance when I type in the above dimensions they will only go in as 420.16 x 297.04. The way I work is by importing photo's and then creating oil painting around and within the image but I'm having real issues with importing the photo at the right scale for the canvas. I have a photo which says it's 1024x768(pixels) which means it should print at roughly 3x2 inches but when I type 1024x768 pixels into the canvas size box and then convert it to inches to check, it comes up at around 30inches. I really am baffled as I need the photo to be in proportion to the canvas or it will be completely wrong when printed. Apologies for the rather convoluted post but as you can tell I'm very confused Thanks a lot and take care. Jason.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Being1 View Post
    I have a photo which says it's 1024x768(pixels) which means it should print at roughly 3x2 inches but when I type 1024x768 pixels into the canvas size box and then convert it to inches to check, it comes up at around 30inches.
    The number of pixels can only tell you the printed size if you also take in to account DPI, which is 'the number of pixels to print per inch'.

So 1024 x 768 at '300 DPI' (300 pixels per inch) comes out at around 3 inches by 2 inches (1024 split in to chunks of 300 per inch), but if you use the default DPI of 72 you get way more inches because you have 1024 pixels split in to chunks of 72 per inch.

If you're typing size in to the box and you want to print at a certain size, don't use pixels, use the Inches option and type the number of inches you want, and the DPI you will be printing at. That way the number of pixels is calculated for you and you don't need to worry about it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

Print size doesn't match Canvas Size?

Hi,

I too am a beginning user of 2.5. I can't seem to get the size of canvas (7"x7" @ 300DPI) to print out at 7"x7" on either of my printers. One is a Brother laser and one is an Epson color & photo model.

Any suggestions?

Aztec

Gallery
    View images
    If you've created your painting in ArtRage using Inches as the unit of measurement and set it to 7 x 7 with dpi set at 300, then it should be printing at that size. All the application does is tell the operating system printer manager to print out the data with the settings requested and the rest is down to the printer.

What size does it print out?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Just reading this question quickly.....before you print go to print set up and make sure your page dimensions are set to 100%. Perhaps that is what is goofing up your final size.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Gallery
    View images

Thanks for the input

Thank you Matt and SuzieQ.

Your comments made me go back once again through my entire sequence. The executive summary is ... ArtRage prints out to scale perfectly, my mistake was the scale of my imported graphic from another graphic program (Serif Draw Plus 6).

I can now print out to scale just as Matt stated once I set my printer to 100% of page.

Thanks again,
    Azted