ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Using AR on old photos

Gallery
    View images

Using AR on old photos

Has anyone or does anyone use Artrage to colour old B/W photos ??

I often restore old photos i get sent from members of a family history site using CS3, and sometimes i get asked to colour them and until now i have done so in CS3 but i thought i would give AR a shot.

But i do have to keep morphing into CS3 to use the hue/sat tool, to make subtle colour changes.

Mind i think i may have problems doing the faces due to the lack of shadows and in the babies case features.

But i would be intrested to have any suggestions for the back wall and the faces.

(sorry the screen shot is not brill)

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	24123  

Gallery
    View images
    To darken the features for the faces, you could try creating a duplicate of the picture layer (make sure the layers paper opacity is set to 0%) and setting it's blend mode to either "linear light", "Overlay", or "Multiply" (this will darken the black/gray tones of the entire image). With that done, you can erase around the areas you want to keep darkened, then play with the layers opacity setting to get the right variation of shadow.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    I would suggest using the image>adjust>levels feature in CS. Also you could try image>adjust>exposure... which simulates correcting over exposed and underexposed areas. Just my thoughts... get a workable grayscale first.
    I usually use the blend mode> color for photo tinting. I really think in this case the better tool for photo tinting is CS. It just is imo. I do think you could do a great job of that photographer's background in artrage though!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Someonesane and gzairborne for your imput, the original that was emailed to me was a lot more faded than the one i ended up with, but the one thing that i cant bring back in are things like the eye shapes and babies nose outline ect as they were already bleached out to much to save.

but as i said i normaly do them in CS but for fun i thought i would give AR a shot just to see the outcome, and i do agree that AR will be useful for things like the backdrop

so another useful tool has been added to the armour lol

once again thanks guys

respect

Steve

Gallery
    View images
    I, too, have been working on old family photos that were taken around the first of the 19th century. I am not completed quite yet with this one...I just needed to take a break for awhile. I've created multiple layers with one being in the Lighten blend mode, one in the Darken blend mode and the Background layer using the Pin Light blend mode. Being fairly new to ArtRage, I am experimenting with the many layer blend modes so I am just basically just playing along! I find doing this is very satisfying and rewarding all at the same time. Any suggestions, ideas or other critique would be welcomed! Thanks!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bollwerk Family.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	27093  

Gallery
    View images
    I'm not clever enough to give suggestions Een just keep doing what your doing because its looking wonderful.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, Coops...I am going to keep on keeping on!