ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Custom Colour

Gallery
    View images

Custom Colour

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't get any of the custom palettes to work. I've put them in the colour directory, is that the right place? I go to the colour wheel in the bottom right, click custom picker and navigate to the colour directory (it doesn't go there automatically), choose the one I want, then I get a message saying Artrage cannot read/use that format. They're all .col.

Help!

edit - I just double checked the error message and it says the image format may not be supported.
    Last edited by Sindri; 01-16-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Your are having trouble because the ".col" files are meant to be used with the "Color Samples Panel" not the "Color Picker Panel".

To access the color samples panel and use a .col color file:
    1 - Select "Tools" and then click on "Show Color Samples Panel" from the menu (NOTE: Shortcut or this on a PC is hitting the "S" key on your keyboard).

2 - With the Sample panel now opened, click on the small black triangle in the upper left corner of the panel.

3 - Select "Load Colors" and locate your .col file.

4 - Select your .col file and click on "open" and you should be good to go.
    The Color Picker allows you to load custom colors as well, but handles things differently. For the Color Picker, you need to use image files (.jpg, .png, .bmp etc...). For that, you'd do just what you were trying to do with the .col files, but use an image instead.

I made a quick video tutorial for how to use color panels in ArtRage for someone else who had asked a while back. To watch it, please Click Here. It goes over how to both the Color Samples Panel and the Color Picker Panel, as well as demonstrating how to use a reference image as a color source.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    That was it, thank you so much!

Gallery
    View images
    No problem
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.