ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: question regarding DPI, images, etc...

Gallery
    View images

question regarding DPI, images, etc...

OK, please do not shoot me if this has been asked and answered before. I have read almost every post in most of the forums and did not see what I am looking for.

By the way this is my first post. I purchased ArtRage a week ago.

My question is concerning DPI and exporting images. I get the whole resolution and DPI thing. Here is my question. When I alter the dpi on my image when I do a new it seems to have no affect on the JPG or TIFF when I export it out to that type of file. I have messed around with creating a file with the same pixel by pixel size and different dpi resolutions. I thought what I would see is when I export to a pic the dimensions of the pic would be different depending on the DPI I created the initial ArtRage file with but that is not the case.

When I look up the properties in the image viewing software it always says 96 dpi.

All this is gearing towards a bigger questions. How do I determine the file size in demensions and dpi to create an artrage file so the final resultant pic will be a certain size when posted on the web. That is what I am trying to get my arms around.

Also, how do I bets go about creating that pic from my ArtRage File.

Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    View images
    Here are my rules of thumb for the art that I sell:
    1: Do not worry about the DPI setting in ArtRage since printing directly from ArtRage is not your best option. Worry instead about image size and create your image size in ArtRage based on the size of the print you'll ultimately want to have printed. So, for example, if you ultimately want an image you can print at 18" X 24" create an image in ArtRage that is 1800 X 2400 pixels.
    2: Export your image from ArtRage as a PNG and then use a third party program to convert it to a JPG if you're sending it out to be printed since most online printers don't accept PNG files. I use IrfanView which is available as a free download from www.download.com and after clicking on "Save As" make sure to set it to save at the highest quality for a JPG.
    3: For the best quality print you'll have to pay the extra money to have it printed using a giclee process. For this I use www.pixeloutpost.com .
    Bear in mind that as you create larger images in ArtRage you may run up against the fact that your computer
    can start to slow down. For most people this becomes a problem around the point of working with an image size of 3000 X3000 pixels.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 01-13-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Edimuds,

JPG or TIFF formats do not store DPI values when you export from ArtRage. PSD ( Photoshop ) files do however. If you create a painting at a certain pixel size, it will always be that size in pixels, regardless of the DPI value. The physical size will vary when printed based on the DPI. This doesn't affect the size you'll see it on your screen as your screen will always display pixels at 1:1.

For posting on the web, DPI is unimportant. If you want an image that is say, 800 x 600 pixels in size on the web, create a painting of that size, and don't worry about the DPI value as this will have no bearing upon the displayed size.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

thanks, last question

thanks for the info. I think I get it now. The only last question I would have is that when alterning the DPI of the file in artrage, it does change the size of the canvas at least in artrage. I notice if I create a file with a higher dpi in order for the canvas to fit on the screen the zoom factor is zoomed out to get it all in. That is what led me to believe the DPI affects the demensions of the file. Why is that?

Thanks

Gallery
    View images

ignore last post

I am wrong please ignore my last post. The zooming out was when I was creating the file at a higher pixel size. I was wrongly assuming that since I was increasing my DPI I needed increase the pixel sizes in order to get a file of the same size when at a lower dpi.

my thinking was if I had a file that was 800 x 600 at 100 dpi it would print at 8 inches by 6 inches.

So in order to get that same print size at 300 dpi I needed a file size of 2400 x 1800.

I think what I said was correct but I was just using that as an example. I am tryhing to just get a file size that would be suitable for a comic strip posted to the web and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Gallery
    View images
    It never hurts to create an image size that is larger than what you'll ultimately need. You can always store the original (large) image and use software to downsize it.

Gallery
    View images

Cool

Edimus,

For your comic strip you could work at the desired web size x 72. If your strip is to appear at 8" x 2" your canvas could be 576 x 144 ppi. That's small, so you could work in scale to that at 2x, 3x, 10x or whatever is comfortable. Of course you're saving all the time. When your ready, with the file saved, you can rescale your canvas, under the EDIT menu to the 576 x 144 ppi size, and export the image. Then close your painting without saving it, thereby maintaining the original size.

If your image is to be printed by a commercial printer, the preferred ppi is printed size x 300 ppi. Although images can have a slightly lesser ppi, this is the industry default. Therefore an 8" x 2" image would be 2400 x 600 ppi.

DPI and PPI are not the same, although they seem to have been used interchangeably for the last 10 or so years. No offense, but ArtRage is really talking about PPI in their "rescale" windows. DPI (dots per inch) is from the printing industry and refers to the screen values used to print images. Newspaper images used to be printed at 65 DPI and you could see the dots in the image. Magazines were printed at 133 DPI and you had to look very closely to see the dots. Fine art books were printed at 200 DPI and you had to use a magnifying glass to see the dots. PPI (pixels per inch) refers to raster images. It's possible to have a 700 ppi image destined to be printed at 133 DPI. For printing purposes, the difference between this image and a 300 ppi image is longer RIP (raster image processor) time, not quality of final printed image.

Is this too much geek speak?

Any ArtRagers who dispute any of my post or suggestions, please jump in. I don't want to mislead anyone.

Mike

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecur View Post
    No offense, but ArtRage is really talking about PPI in their "rescale" windows. DPI (dots per inch) is from the printing industry and refers to the screen values used to print images.
    We only use the DPI setting when the file is printed (or exported to PSD). Internally we only use pixels, and just use the DPI setting to calculate how many pixels are required for the requested size-in-inches * print DPI to get a 1:1 match with printed output to pixels. (The rulers also use the DPI setting when in Inches, cm, or mm scale to indicate the sizes in printed output)
    So we're not talking about pixels-per-inch, we're definitely talking about print resolution dots-per-inch (although on the printed paper they're going to be the same)

AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images

Further question about DPI in ArtRage

Hello all. These posts are most helpful, but I find I'm still struggling a bit. My question asked simply is what difference does it make what DPI setting is set when building a painting in ArtRage? I'm asking the question from the perspective of desiring to have good quality reproductions of large ArtRage printings when sent to commercial ink-jet printers printing on canvas.

Le's say I want to build a 24 X 36 inch painting in ArtRage. I can set the canvas dimensions at 24 X 36 and select any DPI I want (72, 100, 150, 300, etc.) I observe that if I set a DPI above 150 for larger paintings memory problems make it almost impossible to work in ArtRage, but everything goes wonderfully at most settings below 150 dpi. So, I work at about 150 DPI for a 24X36 inch painting. Now I want to export the file with the intent to prepare the best possible file for my commercial printer to get his best results.

1. Will it have made any difference if I created the ArtRage painting with its DPI settings at 72 vs 100 vs 300, etc.?

2. If I scale up an exported PNG file (in say, Paintshop, Photoshop, or Infranview) to increase the PPI for an improved printing image, will it have mattered whether I created the painting in ArtRage at any of its varible DPI possibilities (72, 100, 300, etc.)?

Remembering that the dimensions of the painting are intended to always be the same (24X36 for example), regardless of the DPI or PPI, when the the final intent is to produce a high-quality printed reproduction of the painting, what role does DPI settings in ArtRage play in this intent assuming the dimenstions for the painting in ArtRage will stay constant.

Here is another example. I will be producing a large abstract painting for a client who will want a high-quality printed reproduction. It will be 24 X 96 inches long - impossible to produce in ArtRage at 300 dpi given memory limitations. If I produce the painting at 72 dpi in ArtRage with dimensions set at 24X96, is there any way that I will be able to export the file out of ArtRage that will result in a quality print reproduction (including rescaling up the exported 72 "DPI" painting in Photoshop, Paintshop, Infranview, etc.) to considerably increase the PPI???

Forgive me if this has all been answered before, but I've been struggling to get this specific question clarified and can't seem to find an answer that directly answers the question from the perspective of final print intent (high-quality printed reproductions) vs. the realities of DPI setting requirements in ArtRage at specific dimensions for supporting this intent.

Any feedback that clarifies the realities of this situation from the perspective of the final intent - high-quality printed reproductions of large paintings constructed in ArtRage, will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-22-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot to set e-mail notification.