ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Color Matching?

Gallery
    View images

Color Matching?

What is the best way to match a color? If I have a color swatch in a specific shade, then i try to match it, even if I use the Hue, Saturation, etc. #'s for the color, I can not get it to match the original color swatch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Sherry

Gallery
    View images
    Are you physically holding the swatch in your hand, or is it saved as a file on your computer? If you don't have it on your computer already, you should look into getting it scanned, or maybe search for it or others here in the "Art Supplies" forum area. Getting the correct color would then only be a matter of opening the swatch as a reference image, holding down the "Alt" key and left clicking (or a tap of the stylus) on the swatch image to select the color you want to match.

If you want to look further into ways to use images as references for color in ArtRage, please check out this video tutorial I made: Video Tutorial
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    I actually have it as a file on my computer. Do I just open the file, then click on the swatch. Sorry, kind of a newbie to ArtRage.

Thank you so much for your help, I will check out your video and hopefully it will help me further.

Thanks again!
    Sherry

Gallery
    View images
    Not sure if this is part of it, but the lighting engine alters the appearance of colors.

Search the forums for posts on the lighting engine for similar comments/complaints. There is also a switch to turn it off if you want/need to.

D.
    David Z

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you so much for your help, using the reference image is a huge help. It is extreamly close to the actual color now!

I still have so very much to learn about this program! But I have to say It is AWSOME!

You have been very helpful and thank you!

Still looking for the lighting engine information........on how to turn it on and off..........I will try that also when I find it.

Thanks again!!
    Sherry

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry for the late reply, I left just after I posted earlier. I'm glad the color selection option is working for you. As for the lighting engine, you can toggle the effects for it by hitting the F5 key on your keyboard, though you should note that this also turns off the effects that makes the oil brush strokes seem so real (please refer to the following image for an example of this side by side).

Gallery
    View images
    Boy a picture is worth a thousand words! LOL! That makes sense. Thank you so much for all of your help on this.

You would not happen to know how to change the ppi would you? For example, when I create "glitter", it saves at either 72 or 92 ppi, wondering if there is a way to change it to like 300 ppi for better printing quality?

Sorry for all the questions. I hate being such a newbie!

Thanks again for all of your help.
    Sherry

Gallery
    View images
    To be honest, I've always been a bit confused by that myself. While I've set my resolution for my paints to 300, I've had them export to the same numbers you've provided. For some reason, when exporting as a photoshop file, the image stays at 300. Not entirely sure why though.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

Photoshop format ( PSD ) files support DPI information when exporting from ArtRage, so the DPI setting will be preserved. The other formats when exported from Artrage don't hold this data. However, if a painting is x by y pixels in size, it is still going to be the same size after export regardless of format.

If the image is being opened in another program and you need a specific DPI there, you can just set the DPI value in that software again.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design