ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Jagged lines, tablet pc

Jagged lines, tablet pc

Hi

I am getting jagged lines with pencil under Vista tablet pc edition. In the screenshot below you can see sporradic interpolation of the curve.

I am using the trock explained by DaveRage

"This problem may relate to Ink Services. Once you have the latest version, you can disable the use of Ink Services in ArtRage by placing a file called 'no_ink.inf' in ArtRage's resources folder

e.g.
    c:\program files(x86)\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\ <-- File goes here
    "
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have noticed this too (or at least I think it's the same problem) and was going to make a post asking about it.

I am currently trialling ArtRage 2.5 Starter addition for Mac, using an Intuos3 6x8 tablet. Personally I'm looking for a good art program for me to do rough sketches and practice drawing with, and am currently trialling ArtRage 2.5 and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.

I've noticed that in ArtRage the curves of quick strokes look very interpolated, with bumps or corners in what would in reality be smooth curves. Here's an example of me drawing some quick circles using the pencil tool:
    Name:  artrage_circles.JPG
Views: 2421
Size:  33.1 KB

For comparison, here's the same style of circles done with the pencil tool in Sketchbook Pro. They look smoother and less bumpy:
    Name:  sketchbook_circles.JPG
Views: 1477
Size:  8.2 KB

I've noticed that it seems to be less of a problem with thicker strokes. Here's a few examples of the oil paint tool with different thicknesses:
    Name:  artrage_circles_2.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  28.5 KB

Is there a way to fix this and make the curves a bit smoother?

(BTW: I'm going to buy ArtRage anyway as it looks like a great tool to learn about the proper use of colour, which is something I want to work on. But I'd like to use ArtRage for rough pencil sketches as well; I'm still assessing that. Other than this glitch, and maybe some GUI customisation, I'm impressed with ArtRage.)

Kartal - on Windows when using a Wacom tablet, you may find it beneficial to enable 'Use precise tablet mode' under Edit --> Preferences then restart ArtRage.

For a smoother pencil look in general, turning on the precise pencil ( located in the left hand panel when the pencil has been selected ) will give a less texture-affected look to the pencil. If using the normal pencil, decresing the softness value will also make it less affected by the texture of the canvas.

For smooth curves in general, we are aware that there can be an angular look to curves depending on the specifications of the system ArtRage is being used on, speed of the stroke and so on as we don't add any stroke smoothing. This is something we're looking to improve for a future release.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    For smooth curves in general, we are aware that there can be an angular look to curves depending on the specifications of the system ArtRage is being used on, speed of the stroke and so on as we don't add any stroke smoothing. This is something we're looking to improve for a future release.
    Thanks Dave. It's good to know it's a known and active issue. Keep up the good work!

I don't suppose we have any estimate of when an update is forthcoming do we? I really do adore Artrage. I use it mainly for sketching and the fact that the pencils don't come out smooth (like they do in Painter, Sketchbook and to a lesser extent, Photoshop) is my main reason for still working in Painter.

There is a terrific organic feeling to the way you can use reference and stencils that makes me keep on with Artrage, but without this brush smoothing issue being resolved, I'm going to have to keep using the bloated (and overpriced) apps.