Thread: Problem with Layers?

Gallery
    View images

Problem with Layers?

Hi there, i'm new to the whole tablet and drawing thing so I may have just overlooked something.
    My problem is that when I add a layer and I want to change the order in which they are displayed it doesn't seem to work? Also i've seen a little cats head appear before too, what's that all about?
    I've checked that the little eye symbol is selected so that the layer is visible and also played with some of the settings for each layer, but I really don't know what i'm doing

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Sol.

Gallery
    View images
    The cat you saw peeking out at you is named Tycho and belongs to MattRage. His appearance in the program is known as an "easter egg". In many games and computer programs, the programmers will put in fun things for the users to find, as a mood enhancer. You can read more about this mischievous kitty HERE.

I'm not really sure what's causing your layer issue, so you may have to wait for one of the ArtRage team stop in and post (which they do often). This is the first time I have ever heard of an issue with moving the layer order though. Are you sure you shifted the layer far enough so that the gray arrow appeared at the place you wished to move it?

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    I have deffinately moved it, it's moved location afterwards. I seemed to have found a way around it by changing the type of paper to cell, but it's not the right way to do it i'm sure?

As for easter eggs, i've just graduated as a computer games developer so seen and made a few of those myself, but thanks for pointing that out, I thought i had done something wrong, although the cat made be feel better

I guess i'll wait and see if the boffins at AmbientDesign tell me what i've done wrong.
    Thanks again.

Gallery
    View images
    Oh... It's because you haven't set the option for the paper opacity to 0%. The base layer in ArtRage is given a 100% opacity setting. Newly created layers aren't given an opacity, but if you change the layers individual paper setting to one of the presets like the "Heavy Weave" preset, the layer is automatically given a 100% opacity. So if you move one of these layers, or the base layer up a level, you won't be able to see what's underneath them (where you haven't painted that is). The reason it worked for you when you selected the "Cell" preset, is because it automatically sets he opacity to 0% for you. Try the following with one of your problem layers:

1 - Right click on the layer that doesn't allow you to see through it.

2 - Select the "Edit Paper Setting" option.

3 - Select the paper type you wish to use (if you haven't already).

4 - Locate the "Opacity" dial towards the bottom of the "Edit Paper Setting" menu and change the number from 100% to 0%.

5 - Click okay and you should be all set.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks so much, that's fixed it! sorry for the late reply, been busy 'trying' to work. If i have any other problems you're my first port of call
    Sol x

Gallery
    View images
    Happy to help