Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for all artist

Gallery
    View images

question for all artist

this is a quest for understanding.

I want to understand more about people and what they think about the art of creating the image.

what comes to mind first when you want to create an image?

subject matter or items in the image?
    style?
    which tool or brush?
    idea or storytelling?
    design or colour palette?
    the right composition?

Do you think of other people ( other artist or audience) when creating an image?

What would you like to see more of in the forums?

Do you feel that all tools of creating images are equal?
    ( tools like pencil, oil paints, photography, digital painting, digital photo editing software, 3d software, sculptures, etc )

Do you see the world of creating images, as the same as viewing images? ( do you view other works from other tools or styles or do you limit your choice to viewing your own tools or style?)

What do you think the future of art is?

thanks for your time

Steve

Gallery
    View images

Good questions...

I am guessing that as there is no welcome to newbies page here we just dive straight in!

ok, I usually am commissioned to do the pieces, but have alot of freedom. My commissioning editor is a bit whimsy and uses long words. So i have to get creative.

i scribble, alot! I usual use shapes and forms until i am happy with something then just go for it.

Yes, there is usually a story in my mind

Gallery
    View images
    thanks for the reply Andrew

there is no right or wrong answers to the questions i pose.

i am wondering how others think about the creative stage of making of the image vs the viewing of the image.

when i was young i learn to draw, first by seeing and wanting to create the same, as i grew i changed mediums to photography and tired not to create images i seen, but i could not find the inspiration ( where talking studio table top ) having a product and no plan or story, just a blank sheet sort to speak. So i looked to others and found what i needed.

i didn't stop with photography, i went to sculpting and later to the digital world, But i found that i used what i learning in photography ( and how i viewed the world of images ).

the viewing of the image has a huge influence over how i create.

just thought i talk about the idea's about inspiration too. ( another topic all together )

i know the questions might seem a little cryptic too, seen i didn't state why i'm asking the question.

I invite everyone to have a say.

Thanks Artrage for have a great forum and a mature fan base.

Steve

just thinking out loud.

Gallery
    View images
    There are a lot of questions there, and I am narrowing in on the creating part of it. I think each person comes to it a little differently depending on the amount of left/right brain orientation that they happen to possess.
    A right brain orientation might see the artist planning and being analytical
    and perhaps ( but not always) trying to get a more orderly, perhaps realistic piece of Art from his or her efforts.
    A very left brained artist is likely to scribble something on a blank page, see something in it that intrigues them, and develop a painting from that process,
    maybe or maybe not realistic.
    Most people fall somewhere in between the two extremes, and can shift one way or another to some degree. And a balance is a good thing, adding a little planning to the loose interpretation is usually a recipe for a better painting.
    If you are stuck for inspiration maybe try the 'do something and see if it leads you somewhere" route. Might or might not work for you.
    I think viewing of Art is pretty much the same. A very right brained individual might only respond to something they can identify ( its a bird ..)
    and a very left brained viewer might be very happy to look at splashes of color on a canvas without other content.
    We all see and create a bit differently, and thats what makes a site like Artrage so interesting, to see what other people come up with. I think it is fascinating.

Gallery
    View images
    well said Rob.

yes i agree we as humans we are at times are divided by the left/right brain thing.

i find that, my mood ( tired, happy, sad, hungry, effects of the outside world ) can effect how i see and create, for that day or year.

i seem to create more images when i'm frustrated or unhappy. could be me just trying to regain some kind of control on my life. ( or feeling of control )

thanks Rob

Steve

Gallery
    View images
    It is often easier to be provoked to create from some negative type emotion,
    in some ways they seem to exert a more forceful need to create in response.
    If you are just happy, it doesn't provide the same push. Or it seems that way to me.

Gallery
    View images
    As an "artist" who is currently stuck in a funk I would say that the urge to create is just that! Unfortunately, the press of the Holidays and other factors has made me put creativity on a shelf for the time being.
    I've been through this before: the urge is still there and it's never far from concious thought. But like an old, hand powered water pump, it may need some "priming" to get the "water" flowing again.
    Ultimately, sometimes you just have to behave yourself back to where you want to be. Not bad advice in other areas of life too.

Gallery
    View images
    yeah i hear you Robert.

my funk started when i want to get into a more serious 3d software package and i've been learning through the help of video tutorials. The video's are great at explaining what the software IS , but i feel like i'm wasting time and should jump right into it.

but from paste experience i know it's good to see how the software works before i jump into a project. i keep reminding myself it's for the GREATER GOOD ( for any hot fuzz movie fans out there ) this is just a road stop to other ideas and other learning idea's, i have Jason Ryan's animation tutorials i want to finish as well. he's using Maya and i can use the free maya, but i want to use XSI and just bought it. so now i want to create the model and rig it, just so i can follow along with Jason.

I plan for the next year to be my learning curve for XSI and after that animation learning for the next year.

Yes i plan 2 years ..even 5 years in the future. I want to create my own style animation by the end of 5 years ( 3 years making my first )

I know when i talk about planning, some just roll there eyes. I'm stubborn,
    i know what makes a good image for me...motion ( animation so i can tell a story ) colour and contrast. It's just i need time to put my money where my mouth is. ( old saying ..or walk the talk )

I hope you well, Robert and take the time you need to get yourself back where you feel you need to be.

steve

Gallery
    View images
    ... although i wasnot an artist but here something that i think about some ideas about ur question
    with someone , an idea is very important ( like me ) , with no idea , i cant do anything , but other is different ... work and creation is only one , the have idea when working , nor thinking
    subject and thing in pic are important too , you cant draw without subject or item , the hard is you choose item correct to explain the subj
    every type of pic need special tool , and we should respect em ,
    use anything that can explain ur thinking
    natural/realistic make pic alive
    a style make you different to other , i may admire much of artist in this forum , but i still have myself style , it's may bad to others eye , but at least , it's mine , style depend on yourself , not other's viewing/thinking
    thing i'd like to see more style , more subj , more creation
    FUTURE OF ART is should not think about , it's useless and may harmful to your creation
    ... Listen to a nightingale
    ... For a Silent Mind

Gallery
    View images
    goldenrosa

i think you are being a little hard on yourself, saying that you are not an artist.

this brings up a great point what is an artist? what is art? the question has been asked a hundred times and the answers may vary from person to person.

Art is derived from the work skill or skillful.

i found that the term "art' was used to exclude more people then include, because the idea of what is skillful in an image is more or less left up to the individual viewing the image. The Critic and some arts of the past set the pace of what is art or not art. It was alot easier in the past too set that pace because of the limited flow of images to be considered. Canvis oil was the medium of choice at one time.

Today the top is off the bottle (sort to speak) the mediums used and the amount of images created today is truly mind blogging. The critics of the past would be lost at what to say and would have to run back in there caves with their canvis's held tight to the chest for dear life, knowing that they could not stop the images or artist that create the image from bring viewed .

I truly believe it time to put a stop to the TERM ART, not because of the beautiful works that are or was created, but because someone like goldenrosa thinks i can't create art. I pose a new (old )term in it's place, the final IMAGE. Image means something that is visual or visable. Lets make the image and this way we all can do it.

The image will live on ....

btw the images in the caves in france, the 22000 year old and critics don't think they are art either, but they live on still.

Steve