ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venice at night

Venice at night

This was a large (5x4 ft) acrylic painting I did from a snapshot I took while wandering Venice at night. The photo came out distorted, skewing the perspective, but giving it a dreamlike quality--so that much was intentional.
    I recently sold the painting, but took a photo of it, downloaded it into artrage
    and worked on it alot, so that at this point it is at least 50% done in Artrage.
    Then much tinkering ( more on that in a minute) in Photoshop,
    mostly light and dark adjustments and some cleanup.
    I am open to any and all critiques, but there is one thing I need to know above all else.
    I will post two versions, the first is after major fixes after seeing it on my new computer and monitor. The new monitor makes me think that most things that I have done on my old G5 Imac must have come out looking overexposed to most of you. When I loaded this version back to the G5 it was really dark!! So perhaps I have adjusted things too light I think before now.
    The 2nd is one done entirely on the Imac G5.( overexposed?).
    What I hope to get is some opinions on which version I should trust, and from you a simple-"I like the first one best" sort of response, if you would be good enough to humor me.
    I know all monitors are different, but I will go with the majority here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venice-final--new-cumputer2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	23475  

this one was done on my old G5-which seems better? Note the areas in the upper left side that I never even noticed needed fixing on my old computer!
    A bit embarrassing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venetzia at night Phot0shop.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	23476  

I like the first one but I tend to like darker pictures... Which one looks most like the real painting as far a color goes..?

The first one-on my monitor-looks most like the original, the 2nd looks-(again, on my monitor), too bright. I am hoping that is true for most others, as it seems to be for you.

Fantastic work here Rob! I definately like the first (darker) version better ... but that's probably mostly my psyche at work.

I don't know, the first one hides the corner disruption, and I do like the colors in the darker image, but it still needs more of a focal point which the second painting has, the lighter center. Is there a way to combine the two, slightly lighten the center of the first one to mimic the second one while keeping the outer colors dark. It might give you a dream-like state, a hazy evening scene.
    Just a suggestion, and very lovely painting, you are very talented.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Sorry, I just had a look at the picture again, maybe if you lightened the light in the window of the first one, the light itself looks a bit underexposed, but perfect in the second one.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Thanks for the feedback, I actually fixed the bad areas in the first one in Photoshop. which is why you don't see them.
    Its good to have fresh eyes looking at this, as I think I have looked at it way too long. Dali, you are on the money with your input!
    I had trouble in acrylic getting much more brightness from the window and its reflection
    and just came to accept it, but I should be able to do that wonderfully in digital mode. Duh! I will work on it!
    I am thinking the new monitor is trustworthy judging from the input here, and am glad I got it, as the old one seemingly was sabotaging me.

Lovely painting Rob, I prefer the darker one, the second seems a bit too bright for me, the top ones more natural.

The darker one looks way better on my monitor which is an HP. The computer is a mac but the monitor is an HP Lcd screen.
    I forgot to say I love the picture. It is really a pleasure to look at.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-02-2009 at 07:56 PM.