ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New monitor!

New monitor!

My wife kicked me off her computer-since I was always hogging it doing or looking at Artrage-so I got my own setup with a new ASUS monitor.
    I can tell you the Art I was doing and seeing on the monitor of the Imac G5
    is VERY different from what I am seeing on the new setup! I am a bit shocked to see what I assume everyone else has been seeing so far now.
    I think my paintings are about to improve!

Your computer and monitor settings can make a HUGE difference!

When people talk about color calibrating they are usually talking about prints. But as you have seen, even if you are not printing, calibrating your monitor can really change the way you see your art, photos on the net, even things are you buying online.

Hope you enjoy your new setup.

David
    David Z

There are huge honking flubs in some things I have posted and I never saw them! Some works are hardly recognizable.
    A little embarrassing.

Glad you have your own set up Rob, at home here we are all networked,
    we all have different interests, so we have to have our own. it's amazing how different each monitor can be. Calibrating software can be expensive, but it's worth it to get the correct colour from system to printer, or as drzeller said any thing you view online.
    I haven't calibrating software, but i've noticed a difference in Graphics cards and how they display, I use Nvidia because the drivers are more stable, but ATI can look better, mind you we all see differently so I shouldn't have mentioned it.
    Have you got a nice big monitor, I was squinting like cartuneman, I think it was him that got the new monitor, I've got a larger monitor, it is better viewing.
    Happy new year.

It is worrisome really. If you do a traditional painting, though it might change with the light a bit, you can count on how it looks when others see it.
    Not so with digital art!
    I was about to post a couple things that I had worked on longer than most things I have done, really trying to make them look good.
    I am glad I waited, as they looked very crappy indeed on the new monitor and need some work still.
    But, maybe the new monitor is giving a false impression as well??
    I am thinking of posting the same work from both computers, and see if I can get some feedback on which is best overall. Since all set ups are different, and you can't please them all, it will not be all that scientific, but I will judge from it the best I can for future work.

Rob,

Your comments reminded me of a site that might be of interest.

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

It provides a lot of information about calibrating monitors--I mean a lot. I havenŽt read all of it; I just remembered that IŽd bookmarked it some time ago.

Maybe it will be of some use to someone.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

I'll chime in and just say I am happy for you Rob. If there is any infection I can cheer about and wish on others it is the ArtRage bug. Glad you've come down with it. Happy for you about your new system.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

I guess I've been lucky in my choice of monitors. I just compare how a picture I've taken compares to what I see on my screen and have never seen enough discrepency to worry me.

Thats a good idea I think Robert. I should have suspected an issue when everything I ran off on my printer was too dark. The verdict at the moment is that the Imac was off and the new Asus is more reliable.
    Thanks all for the input!

After a couple weeks with my new monitor I am having doubts, which were confirmed by an online review, and am considering returning the monitor for some other brand.
    Anyone LOVE their monitor? If it is a current model, I would like to know about it.
    Apparently, standing in a display room full of monitors, and picking the one you think looks best is not a good way of doing things. You would think it would be, right?
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.