Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple user problems

Gallery
    View images

Multiple user problems

Hello,

I just purchased ArtRage 2, mainly for my daughter to use. I am running the newest version of OS X and have multiple user accounts set up (One for myself and on for my daughter) on my system.

I copied the application to the Application folder while is was logged into my account and have no problems using it, but when I log into my daughters account it gives me this error:

ERROR. The file being accessed is invalid.

Then the application crashes.

Any help would be apprecaited.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Good news: I think we have a solution for this and we're working on an update that should fix it. In the meantime, here's a quick rundown of that particular problem and how to solve it as a workaround... We'll be updating the FAQ too:

In order to launch properly, ArtRage needs access to two files stored inside its application bundle: system.grf and system.gsf. These files store the interface and other resources used in the application.

It seems that these two files have been set so that users other than the one who installed the package cannot access them. We're looking in to a fix for this for future updates, but there is a workaround you can apply now. Follow these instructions to change the permissions on those files to allow other accounts to use the application:

1. Make sure you're logged in as an administrator, preferably the account that downloaded and installed the application.
    2. Locate the 'ArtRage 2' application file.
    3. Hold down the Control key and click the application icon, a menu appears.
    4. In this menu, select 'Show Package Contents'.

That opens a new folder that shows you what's inside the ArtRage package.

5. You'll see a folder called 'Contents' inside the new folder. Open that.
    6. Inside there you'll see a folder called 'Resources', open that.
    7. Inside there you'll see a number of files, including 'system.grf' and 'system.gsf'.

Those are the two files we need to change. Perform this process for system.grf and system.gsf:

8. Click the file and select 'Get Info' from your File menu.
    9. In the window that appears, you'll see a section titled 'Ownership & Permissions'. Click the arrow next to this to make sure it is expanded.
    10. Inside the 'Ownership & Permissions' section you will see a section headed 'Details:'. Make sure this section is expanded by clicking the arrow next to it.
    11. Inside the Details section you'll see a selection box titled 'Others:'. It probably reads 'No Access' currently.
    12. Click the 'Others:' box and change the contents to read 'Read only'.
    13. Close the Info window.

If you do that for both of the files you should find that ArtRage will run for other users on your mac.

This may solve the problem for you!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Cool....

Thanks Matt. My daughter really enjoys the software. Keep up the great work.

Gallery
    View images
    Great. Be sure to show your daughters creations Cregar. Children should be drawing 24/7, if possible.

Gallery
    View images

Same problem on Windoze

I found the same problem and was going to start a thread, but searched and found this one....

I just purchased the Windoze version and installed it on our general use computer so my daughter could use it. It appears that you must be Administrator (which I'm not giving to my daughter) to install ArtRage2, so I had to install it. Unfortunately, it appears that only the user that installed it can run it. I tried several other accounts on the computer and no one can run it.

Please let us know when there is a fix.

Thanks

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Wiggle. The fix will be out in the upcoming patch to 2.1
    Very Soon Now. It's in beta testing (with a very talented crew of beta testers!)
    The patch will be a free upgrade from 2.05 to 2.1

Very soon now!

In the meantime, you could temporarily give administrator rights to your daughter's account to install it, then remove the administrator rights.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Wiggle (B) good to see you on the forums. AR is an eye-popping good time.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Hey team Rage. I'm still having this problem at the studio. I've made it known to my coworkers and interns that when I'm not using the machine they can and should sit and use the Cintiq. I ofcourse highlight AR as the tool to use with it. Nobody said anything for weeks but it seems that their logins don't allow them to use AR. I'm running the 2.11 patch in WinXP
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Ah - the solution to this is a bit technical. Although you're running a later version of ArtRage, you installed with an earlier version, so the early installer didn't make it available to everyone.
    Can you drop an Email to support@artrage.com, and ask Dave to reply with a registry key fix to allow ArtRage to be used with multiple users (as you installed with the earlier installer).
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Fashmir,

I fired an email to you a little bit ago. Drop me a line if you have any problems, that should sort things out!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design