Thread: Help opens in existing browser window

Gallery
    View images

Help opens in existing browser window

Any chance you could set the Help to open a new browser window, instead of opening in an already open window?

It is annoying when a program re-uses a window I have content in that I want to stay open. It is even worse with these forums if you accidently close the Help window --- which opened in the window you were browsing the forums in --- because all of the messages are marked as read! Agh!

D.

Gallery
    View images
    I think that's something we could definitely look at. I've just noted it as a bug. You're right, rather less than ideal!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    If you use Firefox, this is under your control:

Tools > Options > Tabs > Open links from other applications in:

Your options: a new window, a new tab in the most recent window, the most recent tab/window. The latter is the behaviour about which you are complaining, where your content is replaced. Badness. I like the second one, meself, new tab in most recent window.

Mmmm... Firefox.

.g

Gallery
    View images
    I use Opera as my web browser and it opens the help in its own window
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    drzellar, which browser are you using, on what platform?

I think JustG may have gotten it right - it might be a setting on your end. Check your browser preferences. If not that, then perhaps you do have a pop-up blocker.

Even so. . .

Personally, I'll go to great lengths to NOT learn how to use my computer (no kidding - info overload here), so my lazy work around is to open a new, second window in my browser, failry universally (File>New Window), and in that window go to the AR site and look at the help file.

Fortunatley, I haven't had issues with the un-checking of new messages. So you might want to try this work around after you are done with your browsing and have seen all the messages. That way nothing gets unchecked that you haven't seen.

Good Luck!

Gallery
    View images
    That was it. Oddly, links always open new windows for me -- and Photoshop Help opens a new window -- so I guess I just associated this behavior with AR.

I'd still wonder if others would prefer the automatic opening of a new window, since I doubt most people think of a progam's Help taking over an existing browser window. I would vote for making it perform like PS.

Thanks, guys.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Glad you got it sorted out.

Gallery
    View images
    Y'know, we've tried, and we currently dont know how to force a new expolorer window to open. Still researching it.
    If anyone knows what C++ is required to force Explorer to open a separate window, please let me know!

We're currently using:
    ShellExecute(HWnd(), L"open", sPath, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL));
    which opens the Help Index.html file.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"