ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Shortcut for last used tool

Gallery
    View images

Shortcut for last used tool

Hello,

I would like to program ONE of the buttons on my pen to toggle between the oil brush tool and the pallette knife. One way this could work is with a shortcut key to switch to the last used tool. Is there already a shortcut key for this?

Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    There is no shortcut for last tool, but you could define a button for a specific tool. If you are using an Intuos for example, you could make a program-specific setting for AR that the back portion of the side button is mapped to a keystroke, and make the keystroke the shortcut to the oil brush.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    I'm all for being able to assign keyboard shortcuts.

We each have our favorite tools, and mine would be different from other people's.

Anything to keep me from having to do anything other than paint or draw with my tablet stylus would enhance workflow and be most appreciated.

As Austin_Texas said, toggles are good. But I would be happy with any assignable key.

Placement on the keyboard is important to me. If flipping repeatedly between two tools, I would like to be able to assign keys that are close to each other, and perhaps near the opposite corner from the number pad, like a, s, d z, x, c. so I don't have to think about anything other than mark making.

Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey, while toggling is not on a shortcut, do you know that each of the tools does have a shortcut key? They are generally across the top as the numbers. Not quite where you want them, but they exist. Check the help file for the complete list.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi drzellar,

I had a passing awareness of keyboard shortcuts, and if I cleaned my desk it would probably be easier on the ol' workflow to use them. I'm right handed and so I could slide my keyboard way left so as to be able to access the numeric pad with my left hand.

But I keep my keyboard in my lap. . . not very conventional, I know. But I usually don't look at it when painting.

So assignable keys would be preferred cause I can feel where the edge of my keyboard is with my thumb as a starting point. Personal idiosyncracies.

But Austin_Texas also talked about a key for a toggle between last used tool. That sounds way handy. Like him, I mostly go between the paint tube and the palette knife. Same principle if it was between the pencil and eraser, etc.

But thanks for the heads up. Those existing shortcuts are ones I should pay more attention to and get practiced with. They exist now.