ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR really slow

AR really slow

I started a new painting, 40"x30", 200dpi, 3 layers so far (to see how AR behave). I'm not able to continue my work because AR is running really slow, specially when I'm using the Soft Palette Knife. Is happening the same even if I use a 14"x10" and 100dip, if the Soft Palette Knife is higher then 30%.

My machine is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM.

Is my machine a problem or what?
    What would be the best size to use?

Thank you!

40" x 30" at 200 DPI = 8000 x 6000 pixels. That's a large painting.
    However the soft palette knife is very slow anyway. It does many many samples of the same areas are reapplies many many times as it goes.

Oddly, it's around about the same speed as the equivalent tool in other packages (even though we need to work on around 3x the dataset as our paint layers store much more information than other programs).
    Part of the problem is that the other tools are comparatively faster.

Try hitting <F5> to turn off the rendered lighting. That can give a speed improvement - you can turn it on later (hit <F5> again) when you've finished working with the tool.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thank you Andy! I will try that

But...
    I understand that ~40"x30" is a really large painting and the reason why I use it was to see when AR will crash. What I don't understand is why is happening on a small painting too... and the Soft Palette Knife is the major problem, but not the only one.
    I can not say that is because of my tablet since I used a mouse as well