Thread: question about genius 8x6 penmouse

Gallery
    View images

question about genius 8x6 penmouse

I bought one of these things but the pen takes so much pressure to start drawing I loose attention to what I am doing trying to keep the pressure steady.

Are these pens all that hard to use? It works fine but takes a lot of pressure to start making a mark, then I have trouble controlling it trying to keep the pressure steady.

Thoughts?

I have pressure set to max on the pen and artrage both to get it to work this well.

Love Artrage though

Gallery
    View images
    That definitely sounds a bit on the strange side! You shouldn't need to press super-hard just to get a mark, it should have a ( fairly ) natural feel to it in general.

What operating system are you using? Also, check that you have the latest driver software installed for your tablet. If it came with 'Pen Commander' software, I'd recommend disabling that just in case as I've seen some strange behavior relating to that before.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    New drivers improved but still takes a lot of pressure. Will load it up on another computer this evening and see if it works any better. It is more responsive as well as slightly less pressure.

I emailed genius to see what they have to say.

Thanks much.

Gallery
    View images
    What operating system are you using there? ( e.g. Windows XP Home, OSX 10.5.4 )
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry, XP on a 3 gig pentium4 and 3 gig of memory. I do get a message about intell intelapoint or something not being able to start, not sure what that is about - when I reboot.

Will reboot and get that info after supper and post it.

Okay it is Microsoft Intelli Type Pro. I've never seen this before so assume it is related to the genius drivers.
    Last edited by exscentric; 12-19-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    No problem, thanks for that! Operating system-wise, there aren't any specific problems I can think of, unless your cursor becomes a tiny dot when you hover over ArtRage's menus, in which case let me know.

It may be worthwhile closing any background apps, especially any tablet helper apps before launching ArtRage to see if it makes any difference. The tablet itself may have a diagnostic utility or pressure preview where you can check the pen response to see if it's too firm there as well.

Within ArtRage you can also go to Edit -> Preferences and check / uncheck 'Use precise tablet mode' before restarting the application to see if that makes any difference. I suspect that that'll be unrelated but it's worthwhile checking just in case, as that's ArtRage's only tablet setting outside of the tool pressure dials. You can also set ArtRage to use default settings by holding down the spacebar when it launches.

Intellitype is Microsoft's keyboard software. You could mention it to the support people for Genius if you've only got the message since you installed the tablet though. It does sound like it'd be a good idea to check the situation out with their support so that they can help you to troubleshoot it / check if the behavior is normal for the tablet.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    It is the same on a newer toshiba laptop so must be Genius end of things for sure.

The intelli pro is probably my wireless keyboard. Will unhook it and give a try but thinking the pen is not quite right.

I had tried the "Precise" option with no effect.

I will see what genius has to say and post back for informational purposes.

Thanks much.

Gallery
    View images
    Okay, this is what I found. I found new drivers on their website, downloaded them and they were the same (Took heavy pressure on pen to cause a mark).

They then sent me a Beta driver to try, and that did nothing either.

They then asked me to uninstall their software and try the XP drivers that would load - it works fine. The tech said that their drivers are mostly for the side button areas that you can use. I don't need them so all is a go with my setup

Thanks for your help!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for letting us know! That's handy information to have, and I'm glad that pressure's working properly for you now
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design