ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: new post

Gallery
    View images

new post

[img] comments please[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo_skull2_769.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	2321  

Gallery
    View images
    Since you have this on the crit wall. . .

What's not working for me is the composition and color.

I know color is subjective, but the brown with red flecks doesn't work for me with the cools you used on the skull.

Also, if you're going to be floating a skull as a graphic shape (which there being no cast shadows implies), then I personally would make the angle of the skull less three-quarters. I would go ahead and exploit the design potential of the skull shape by having it more overhead looking down for the purposes of design symmetry. It flattens it out so it works as a vignette against a flat background better. and divides the picture plane nicely.

Think of a butterfly collection.

Dimension implies space -- more expectations to see dried dirt from drought and maybe a tumbleweed or something else spent and ghost town western feeling.

At the very least, if it's on a table, cast a long shadow as a compositional device 'pointing' to the skull and anchoring it onto a surface.

Take your own photos to paint from. Don't limit yourself to try to make something fit from a found photo, even if it's just an exercise. You may blow your own mind with a great painting if you start well.

I don't think you're too far off the mark. You're getting good volume and you're seeing pretty well. That all will pay off for sure.

Good work. Keep at it and we'll be seeing you in Southwest Art magazine.

Gallery
    View images
    thanks d akey im real new to artrage or at least this buffalo skull was maybe the 2nd try at it... i appreciate your critique, im letting my photo sources dictate too much of the final image... i ll try and improve on that.