ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rounded color wheel PLEASE! (please, please)

Gallery
    View images

A rounded color wheel PLEASE! (please, please)

As rumors go on that there's a major improvement of AR on the march, I take my chance to repeat the humble petition of the title that I made last year. As I explained previously:

"I have color perception deficiency (color blindness is a wrong definition of it). 5% of all men (women are almost free) have it in different grades and combinations.
    This deficiency has keep me afar of true paint for most of my life. I started coloring my caricatures in the latest years after I brought a Wacom bundled with a program named Dabbler 2. It had a round colorwheel (the same Painter have) and I was able to choose colors according to its relative position in the wheel (complementaries, triads, etc) for the first time.
    This is something I'm longing for in AR as I stated yet at the "suggestions" forum."

I must add that the "desaturation/value" triangle inside the hue circle allows me to save steps and time when switching from one tone to another. Because of my color perception disadvantage I'm unable to pick colors by themselves. I NEED TO LOOK AT ITS RELATIVE POSITION.

I hope it's not too late yet.

Thank you.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Gallery
    View images
    Bob, have you tried creating your own color palette from a picture of the wheel you like? It will be small, but may make your color picking easier overall.

David
    David Z

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Bob,

Is this color wheel you are speaking of something that you can scan, or find a picture of online? If so, you could just open the image as a reference photo and select the colors from it directly. With the image loaded as a reference, hold down the "alt" key and tap on (or click on, if you use a mouse) the color you want to select from the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorwheelref.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	22989  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you, Drzeler and Someonesane for your suggestions. I did argument my point at large time ago in this thread (go to page 2 for screen shots):

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ead.php?t=4909

As you can see the triangle inside the wheel gives you the saturation, hue and tone relative position of any chosen point at once. I didn't find substitutes for it.

I don't remember a straight answer from the AR team to my predicament. Perhaps is a matter of copyrights?
    Nulla die sine linea

I love that style of colour picker....

as for copyright issues, that's a fairly standard picker in linux, ( gtk, gimp, inkscape, gnome... most software offering a colour picker offers a variant of the wheel/triangle combo on linux...

It's way less fiddly than the tiny value slider right at the edge of the screen in the artrage picker...

(I too requested this in another thread...)
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website

Gallery
    View images
    Meanwhile you can have fun and look at this nifty program made by the multitalented Eni Oken.
    It gives you interactive triads, complementars and a looooooooooooot more.It's even fun to try out. It works every time to get nice colorshemes for your paintings and stuff.

I adore it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color_schemes.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	23177  
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you Hanzz, but it seems it works just with PC and I shifted to Mac now. I'll still wait and see what surprises the AR team have in the pocket for us.
    Nulla die sine linea

Gallery
    View images
    This is the color picker wheel in Fractal Design (later acquired by Corel) Painter 6. In my experience, this is The Color Picker. Anything else proves to be inferior.

Note that the hues are arranged in a full circle so you do not get an artificial division between violet and red.

Note also that the triangular brightness / saturation picker area does not duplicate any colors. Any other shape, be it a square like in Photoshop or sector like in ArtRage 2, makes it easier to pick some colors than the others. For instance, you would have a whole side of the picker fading to black, while white and saturated colors are crowded together on another side. With a triangle, you have black, white, and saturated in three corners, and each shade is present only once and in clear relation to the value / saturation scale.

I do hope very much that ArtRage 3 will have the same sort of color picker at least as an option. Pretty please?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Second for the Painter style color picker. It has always been my favorite!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    This is the color picker wheel in Fractal Design (later acquired by Corel) Painter 6. In my experience, this is The Color Picker. Anything else proves to be inferior.

Note that the hues are arranged in a full circle so you do not get an artificial division between violet and red.

Note also that the triangular brightness / saturation picker area does not duplicate any colors. Any other shape, be it a square like in Photoshop or sector like in ArtRage 2, makes it easier to pick some colors than the others. For instance, you would have a whole side of the picker fading to black, while white and saturated colors are crowded together on another side. With a triangle, you have black, white, and saturated in three corners, and each shade is present only once and in clear relation to the value / saturation scale.

I do hope very much that ArtRage 3 will have the same sort of color picker at least as an option. Pretty please?

Yes! The original Metacreations Painter was amazing, Corel messed up the color wheel in later versions but it's still the same principle. Oh also look at Paint Tool SAI, square instead of a triangle, it works very well too, but either of these wheels are way easier to pick up colors from than the current method in ArtRage 2 (free edition).
    Last edited by furio; 02-08-2009 at 03:22 PM.