Thread: AR will crash when switching stencils

Gallery
    View images

AR will crash when switching stencils

Hi there! After purchasing a new license for OSX, I downloaded a number of the great collection of stencils posted by other members and arranged it under a sub-files structure.
    Now, when switching between three or more sub-files the app suddenly shut down without warning. So, I turned to save my work before looking for another texture to add in order to prevent a loss.
    I usually work at 1200 by 1700 px at 150 or 300 dpi in an Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini with 2 Gb of memory.
    May be the arranged tree became too much for the system to manage?
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Row View Post
    Hi there! After purchasing a new license for OSX, I downloaded a number of the great collection of stencils posted by other members and arranged it under a sub-files structure.
    Now, when switching between three or more sub-files the app suddenly shut down without warning. So, I turned to save my work before looking for another texture to add in order to prevent a loss.
    I usually work at 1200 by 1700 px at 150 or 300 dpi in an Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini with 2 Gb of memory.
    May be the arranged tree became too much for the system to manage?
    I am not any sort of expert, but I have found that if any of the stencils folders (after the program finds them) have a very large number of stencils in them then the program can slow considerably while swapping between the different catagorys
    First you learn patterns, then more patterns, finally you dance

Gallery
    View images
    I experienced that too. One of the circumstances of crash is when double-hitting because of the delay.
    Nulla die sine linea

Gallery
    View images
    Nobody else experienced unwarned shut downs when opening stencils folders (in Macs at least)?
    I'd like to know if it's a problem in my system to fix. I got afraid of search through some large folders, like those great ones from Misterpaint, after losing unsaved work. Even if I saved it is very annoying to have such a treasure and yet resign to find the right stencil just to avoid the shut down.
    Nulla die sine linea

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Bob,

Are you referring to changing stencil categories in the stencils panel by clicking on them in the left hand pane? Can you give me an idea of how many stencils you have in these categories / any examples of a stencil collection that you've placed in one category? Also, what is your OS X version number?

I can try setting up something similar here and take a look at that for you to see if I can reproduce the crash.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Hello Dave,
    It seems I have good news. I went into the Finder to the AR2 library to collect the stencils' folder data; there were 136,9 MB in 16 sub-folders, plus a bunch of loose stencils. So I rearranged those loose stencils into one or another category. Once back to the canvas to test again, I couldn't reproduce the crash. The biggest categories with some 18MB took a time to show up but that's all.
    May be the loose stencils posed the problem? Very strange.

For the record, I have OSX 10.4.11 with a Kernel Darwin 8.11.1

Let me know if you find any other issue to take into account.

Thank you very much.
    Nulla die sine linea

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the info. Certainly an odd one! It might be worthwhile doing a permissions check using the disk utility just in case, if you haven't already.

If you see the crash again, feel free to email me a crash report - support@ambientdesign.com as it might provide some further clues. I'm of course really happy to hear that it's working for you at the moment!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design