ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widescreen vs Not Widescreen

Gallery
    View images

Widescreen vs Not Widescreen

Looks like my Samsung SyncMaster monitor is bitting the dust.. Looked about at a new monitor today, only to find that one can only purchase a "widescreen" monitor.. Does anyone know what that will do to my previous paintings, as far as round being round? Is there some sort of aspect ratio I need to concern myself with.. What about future paintings? Will rounds be round??
    Really perplexing to me..
    Last edited by Rick; 12-10-2008 at 12:44 PM.
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Rick,

it won't do anything negative to your previous paintings. Your new screen will have a different resolution and a different aspect ratio what means nothing else that the relation of the horizontal pixels and the vertical pixels will be different compared to your old monitor. The result will be that if you look if at one of your old paintings that filled the screen in both directions it now will not fill your screen in the horizontal direction anymore. But the pixels will not be stretched in any way. So the will be no distortion.
    Last edited by Belvrog; 12-10-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Belvrog is correct - you will get more to screen real estate to the sides, not squished circles.

A plus to this arrangement is that in some programs, this not puts your palettes outside the area you used to paint in. Of course, you are likely to paint more landscape-like paintings now, if you regularly use your whole monitor, rather than a fixed sized ratio (like 8x10, etc).

D.
    David Z

Gallery
    View images
    If you have a little bit more money to spend you should consider to buy
    a panel which supports color calibration.

As you have a Samsung I see you do not buy the very cheapest monitor
    anyway. I write this because in the last month I more and more saw very
    evil panels which only support 6bit per color. This means they do not
    even can show true color. Nearly all notebook panels are only 6bit.
    They try to fake more colors with some sort of dithering.

For us people who work with colors and color gradients, it is much better
    to buy 10 bit panels. They show true 8bit and dither the other 2bit.

As many newer graphic boards support 32bit, it is a good choise.

Ah....

I forgot: maybe the ratio aspect of his graphic tablet could be a problem.
    I am using 2 monitors parallel and it is no problem with my new Wacom
    Intuos 3 Widescreen. Both of my monitors were not widescreen so the
    tablett surface does not match to both screen sizes together. I have
    to admit, the Wacom driver handles this fact very well.

But with my old tablet it wasn't because the drivers were quite bad.
    So he has to check if he would get some trouble with his tablet
    (if he has some) or not.

For spreadsheets widescreen is much better.

Regards and good night for now.
    Last edited by narf; 12-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Gallery
    View images
    The ultimate desktop would be 2 wide screen, a primary horizontal and a secondary vertical at the right... useful... well i dream for myself , lol xD

Gallery
    View images
    I just had to buy a new monitor and went for a BenQ2200WT, that had been promoted in Painter Magazine. The draw was that you can turn it 90 degrees and work portrait, as it comes with software that rotates your software to match. I've found this works fine with AR and the majority of my other software. Sketchbook Pro has been the only one not to like it that I've found so far.

It's widescreen 1600x1000. I had to reinstall my graphic card drivers and everything fell into place. The aspect ratio was sorted by doing that in my case. I appreciate having the extra width as you have more space for your palettes etc too.

Forgot to say - it cost me about 150, which I thought was not too bad.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Gallery
    View images
    I've tried several flat panel displays and have always had to go back to my IBM CRT monitor because I couldn't stand the visual distortion caused by wide screen format.

If you program a circle in any programming language, it will look like a horizontal oval on wide screen displays. Many slightly older games cannot be set to display correctly on wide screen format, and everything looks stretched sideways.

I finally found a Fujitsu-Siemens D19-1 monitor, which gives an acceptable display. It's 38cm width by 30cm high screen, gives a 1.27 aspect ratio (rather than a precise 1.33 ratio for a true 4:3 aspect ratio). This is only a 5% error, and if only the screen had been 2cm wider, it would have been perfect.

Nevertheless, I can live with a 5% distortion, and if I get really picky, my NVidia graphics card software offers me a fixed aspect setting that gives a true circle (at the expense of losing half an inch from the top and bottom of the screen).

I hate having large black sections of screen, and with lots of favourite old games that are too stretched to be pleasant on a widescreen monitor, wide-screen monitors are useless to me.

They are however the most popular format these days, so if your paintings were done on a 4:3 ratio screen, they will already be appearing in horizontally stretched form to anyone who downloads them - unless they go to the trouble of re-setting their display each time they look at them.

Isn't progress wonderful? ..

Graham

Gallery
    View images
    So long as your graphics card allows you to select a mode where the resolution matches the resolution of the monitor you wont have any problems with the aspect of circles.

For example if your widescreen's pixel resolution is 1600 x 900 (16:9 aspect ratio), and you choose the same resolution with your graphics card then you will have square pixels, and circles will be circles.

But if you were to leave the resolution of your graphics card at, say 1024 x 768 (4:3 aspect) on your widescreen monitor, your circles will be ovals.

Almost all screens are manufactured with square pixels - all you need to do is match the graphics card resolution to the screen resolution and all is fine.

I run use a wide-screen monitor myself and my circles are as circular as a very round thing
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks so much Andy.. That makes perfect sence to me..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Gallery
    View images
    Yes Andy, I agree - problem is I need to work at 1024x768 to get some older games to work. So as you say, I get ovals ..

Also, at the maximum resolution of screens these days, much of what displays onscreen is too small and fine for my old eyes - I can manage 1024x768.

Perhaps I just need better glasses ..

Graham