Thread: "fill" - how?

Gallery
    View images

Question "fill" - how?

New at using AR (trying the free one first) but have spent years using Photoshop and painter.

Both of those programs and other paint programs have options to select an area with a lasso, "magic wand," or to draw an outlined area with pen or pencil and fill that area either with a fill command or clicking inside the area with a paint bucket.

I've looked at all the tools in AR and the help files, but see nothing relating to that or to doing a gradient fill - can either version of AR do these functions?

thanks

PS... I bought a bamboo pen to use with my laptop which doesn't have the umph apparently to do Painter. (I run Painter and Photoshop on my big dog computer, and wanted to do some doodles and ideas for projects on the laptop, so I thought I'd see if AR would run ok on the flaptop). I use Wacom Intuous 3 on my desktop computer.
    Last edited by Nate; 12-07-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    The current versions of ArtRage do not have a Fill tool, nor do they have a selection tool yet. With the amount of people asking for these tools, it's probably a safe bet that the ArtRage team is looking into adding them in for ArtRage 3. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Yep, fill for now is select the tool you want and start painting.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    While ArtRage 2.5 doesn't currently have a fill tool, there are a couple of things you can do to help.
    You can convert your layer to a stencil, set the stencil to Ruler mode, and that will prevent your tool from going outside the area as you paint in the area you're filling.
    To have a smooth gradient you can overlay a gradient stencil, which will affect the opacity of the paint as you apply it.

ArtRage 3 will have a flood-fill tool, although we dont currently have plans to support gradient fills.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the replies.
    I find these features indispensible as a fast way to get work done, so I will keep my eye on future versions of AR to see when they may become available.
    Merry Christmas to all..
    Nate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nate; 12-07-2008 at 11:07 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    @nate
    wow brilliant stuff..here and on your website!

Merry Christmas to you and all others here too

Greetz maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Nate,

Thought I recognized that friendy face. Fancy seeing you here on the AR forums! I know you from the Carrara (Polyloop?)-forums and Zbrush (...I think).

Welcome to these forums. Hope you will entertain us with a few doodles made in AR.

What I like about AR is the way you can integrate it in your 3D (and other 2D) workflow. Always experimenting to find new uses for it.

Go on, buy the full version, you know you want to. IMHO its a bargain at $25. I do not have Painter (not that I have the money to buy it) and I suspect AR is not nearly as complicated and advanced as Painter, but it sure is fun!

The tools you speak of would be great though wouldn't it. We can only hope.

Regards,

Yvan.

Gallery
    View images

Smile

Thanks for the warm and kind words... yep, I surf a bunch of forums including several 3d hangouts. See ya later - I'll probably end up with Rage eventually....

Sooo.... when do we expect Rage 3 to be available??
    Last edited by Nate; 12-10-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Nate, Thank you for the Christmas Greeting and Merry Christmas to you too!!!