Thread: Mac OSX and Parental Controls

Gallery
    View images

Mac OSX and Parental Controls

Hi,

ArtRage doesn't appear in the list of applications that can be selected to be accessible under an account subject to parental controls. I can manually put it in the dock for that account, but I have to give permission to use it via an administrator password each session when added in this way. I want my daughter to have free access to it whenever she chooses.

Anyone have any idea why this problem of ArtRage not appearing in the list of available applications occurs and is there a work-around?

I am using 10.5.5 on a late 2008 MBP.

David

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

We've had a couple of people report a similar problem. Basically it appears to relate to the OS not always automatically recognising which applications are installed. This can happen if you've had more than one version of the product on the OS in particular.

The first thing to try is to go to your default account and manually launch the application, the OS should at that point automatically recognise it as a valid application and you may then be able to select it in the parental controls. If you have more than one version of the app, delete the other versions too as that can confuse the process.

Another user who had this problem sent these steps which made it work for them:

1. Install Art Rage in the administrator account as normal.
    2. Create the Parental controlled account NOT using simple finder and ALLOW the doc to be modified.
    3. Log into Parental controlled account.
    4. Open the hard drive and locate Art Rage.
    5. Drag Art Rage's icon into the dock.
    6. Open System Preferences/Parental controls.
    7. Set the Parental controlled account to simple finder and CANNOT modify the dock.
    8. save changes and close.
    9. Log out of the Parental controlled account.
    10. Log back into Parental controlled account.

It all boils down to making sure the OS recognises the existence of the app, which is normally done automatically when an application is launched.

Hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Matt,

Thnanks for the tips. Neither have worked unfortunately. I think I will remove ArtRage and install a new copy from scratch and see if that helps.

David

Gallery
    View images
    When you uninstall it, make sure to remove any other versions you have there too. Multiple versions can confuse the system if different versions are launched at different times.

Apparently you may also be able to help this by creating an alias to the application in the limited permission user's 'My Applications' folder and dragging that to their dock.

I'd also do a permissions check using Disk Utility to make sure there's nothing odd about the files once installed.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Kia Ora Matt,

No luck I'm afraid with any of your tips. I tried reinstalling ArtRage and same problem. Tried moving ArtRage to the Utilities folder and accesing it from there - but it remianed invisible to the OS via Parental Controls. Permissions repairs and all the other usual suspects were explored but no dice.

However, now the Admin permission I give to ArtRage to be used under the controlled account from within the controlled account itself seems to stick rather than having to repeat that every time ArtRage is accessed. So with the App in the dock my daughter should have free access when she wants.

So the problem of using ArtRage under the controlled account is solved, or rather, it's been circumvented I guess. But it's still a mystery as to why ArtRage should be invisible to the OS in these circumstances. Every other app utility and obscure helper application seems to be ok in this regard.

Best

David