ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project (Update)

New Project (Update)

Hello
    It is bizarre where things lead My last Autumn wip http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=15962 lead me to write a children's story in verse. The writing is finished, now all I have to do is paint 24 double page spreads (gulp). Here is an initial sketch of a possible cover/back page shot.
    Thanks for viewing.
    Boxy

Last edited by Boxy; 04-29-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Title Update

Dear Boxy, I'm deeply admired by Your excellent skills and talent prominently shown by these two drawings!!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Sweet! What a lovely mood!
    Crazy in Wisconsin

Thank you so much both.
    Fenraven, I'm afraid the mood is starting to get ugly. Its quite a dark tale, but when I was a kid they were my favourites.
    Thanks for looking
    Boxy

I can't wait to see the final image. This is looking very good already. And fun for the eye. There is something interesting going on all over the canvas.

I'm impressed both with the image and its potential, and with the scope of your ambition. The Fairy Tale/Folk Tale has a long and hallowed place in human history and often are "dark". Many of what we know today as the classic tales have much more unsettling original versions. Some research on the original version of "Little Red Riding Hood" will make that abundantly clear. Further, some research into the subliminal elements of "Peter Pan" show it to be surprizingly laden with sexual inuendo and conflict.
    The modern purpose of the somewhat frightening childrens' story is nicely summed up in the movie "Monsters Inc". That being that while there are scary things in the world, a brave person can overcome fear and triumph ... even grow ... by rising above "magical thinking".
    The "dragons" of Fairy Tales are, in actuality, the "dragons" of the mind. We all have them, and they exist to be conquered.
    Fairy tales are more than true - not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.
    -- G. K. Chesterton
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 11-26-2008 at 07:36 AM.

It's lovely, I love it!, the little one over all
    I'm sorry for my English...coz...I don't speak english
    "La vida es un momento entre dos eternidades"

Thanks radar. The plan was to have many little details to look at in each image. I figured there would then be an opportunity for kids to discuss and maybe even add to the story beyond the original verses. Hopefully all the detail won't take away from the main focus, the badgers though. Right now I'm cramming loads in, I can always take it out again

Thanks for the kind comments Robert. Great words too. There is just something so much more compelling about slightly sinister stories
    I love the Chesterton quote too.

Thank you Macbe. I do want to make the wee one as appealing as possible Though I think I may need to tweak a few things on him.

Here's another update. I still haven't introduced colour. I like sketching too much!

love seeing the picture develop. Great cover. I'de buy that book.

Thanks Jim, its very encouraging I already have a buyer but you know what they say about judging books by covers
    Cheers
    Boxy