ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: caricature in oils...

caricature in oils...

This will be my first oil painting in ArtRage, might need your help..
    I will show the steps that got me to to where I got so far.I will continue adding screenshots , so you'll get another step by step. The victim is Brian Ferry.
    First I made a very rough sketch with a blue pencil.
    I then added a new layer, and sketched the lines in black. I don't care about line quality, because they won't be seen in the final picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by hanzz; 11-24-2008 at 01:56 AM.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Then I painted the background, the shadow and the face on different layers.
    Next I will merge the sketch with the basecolors of the face, and from there on, it's walking on thin ice for me....
    Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

added another layer, did some glazing with lots of thinner. Then I started making some texture with a dry oilbrush, I'm experimenting here...see settings for the dry oil brush (VERY short dry strokes add colour a little bit at the time. Then more texture is added with the pencil.
    I'm starting to have some doubts on the likeness...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferry005.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	22502  
    Last edited by hanzz; 11-23-2008 at 05:21 AM.

hanzz, I really like what your doing with your caricatures. And showing how you do them is very valuable to me. I have been playing around with some portrait painting lately and I haven't truly a workflow I can count on for layer manipulation. My (ever so time consuming) way of creating background layers is to literally try every combination of layer blend and than try changing opacity. I have found some amazing effects and techniques that hopefully I can reproduce again just by moving a layer up or down, blending it and changing opacity. I don't know if this helps or not.

This caricature looks great already.

hi hanzz, i always admire your caricature paintings and it's nice to see the process from an skilled artist like you. Thanks for sharing with us. This is very helpful for me to understand it. Looks like you are working on a very big canvas to get to that details. Truly this will be an eye opener on how you experimenting oil. Can I ask how long you have spent up to this stage?

Thanks friends.
    @ Pai: The canvas is 2168 X 3000 pixels at 300DPI.
    It has taken me (on and off) some 3 hours so far. (including two returns to the first saved stage -experiments that didn't work you know- ... )I always save to different files, gives you easy access to previous saving points.

hi hanzz, i may ask a stupid question but i'm still confusing. Is "dry brush" means this:

Insta-Dry=off
    Auto Clean=off

When I paint, I based on how I feel the brush work with color, sometimes I will blend it with the brush with almost the same color but high thinner. Then, I will use above setting. Am I mis-understanding it?

Again, thanks for explaining to me.

to me, i think it looks like him especially the eyes.

Dear Pai, no question is stupid, the answers however.....

with EVERY brush I use , I leave insta dry "OFF" I just don't like the other mode -now- ......

No, with dry brush I mean a brush with very little paint , leaving you with a very short thin stroke.The pressure is set at 100%, the thinners at at least 70%, and the loading at 4% , meaning you have little paint on your brush.You need to paint lots of times over the same spot to get a tone shift, but the strokes have a nice real texture. I should try a few more texture grains for the canvas, but that will be for a later try........

Thanks Hanzz for answering my doubt and sharing your technique. Actually, recently I found out I tend to like to use "Insta-Dry= ON" more on one layer painting. But mostly I have that ON and OFF all the time. Still want to find a way to do the blending correctly. I think this painting can also post as an new tutorial from you because it's really amazing and useful. Awaitng to see the final.

Went on the same routine to do the rest of the face. The pencil is pretty useful to get sharper edges like the shirt and things. Also good to accentuate the oilbrush strokes, giving the rough texture I was going for.

I will make a new layer for the hair, how I will tackle that one, is still a mystery to me...