Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four and Twenty horses

Gallery
    View images

Four and Twenty horses

THe Smugglers poem...I was intending to do a different scene..of the Smugglers bringing cartloads of goodies to the Inn.....On the night of a full moon...I got this sketch a bit right but its not right enough to continue, so I decided to show it as a work in progress, although I doubt if I will progress it any further,but just showing it as a failed picture really,Its not what I wanted and detaling it would take some time to do,so its a very rough idea that never got any further than this.....Jack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Four and Twenty ponies...jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	22144  

http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    I don't see very well , I have a smoll scren but what can I see I like it:
    particulary the contrasts on the right side and the moon, people need to be worked on no doubt. I have to confess that generaly I don't use black in oils and I have the custom but your painting is so well done that I don't dislike this somber athmosphere, It will be very pitty to not continue your painting, is realy very good allready.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Gallery
    View images
    What on earth makes you think this painting failed? Dark night scenes surely are very difficult. I think you've done well in holding back the highlights. Maybe you need to explore the different shades of gray some more and lighten up teh whole scene a little bit so that you get more room for the really dark patches again. This will allow you to build depth.

You do what you like. Finished it is not, but neither is it failed. Not at all.
    It's not about how many breaths you take; it's about the moments that take your breath away.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Jack, oh, the old tease routine, now you have to finish it and tell us the tall tale

Gallery
    View images
    It looks like a great idea, but I understand how difficult it is to make very dark paintings come to life. Its your call, but it would have been interesting to see the final version.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the comments people...OK I will start to detail it but its not going to be finished for quite some time because it means re-painting everything again lighter,the shadows contain very little except smudges,but I will do bits and bobs,I did a weeeeee bit today....Jack.

Name:	Four and twenty Ponies.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	22178  

I think its great Jack, definitely worth the effort continuing and I love the subject. What about also putting some lovely blues in there to set off the window light?
    Boxy

Gallery
    View images

Up-date

Thanks everyone..the problem I have with overpainting is getting shades right,,, the black levels and dark greys are so near together in low light that it becomes a bit awkward to say the least, I have lightened it ,but it now looks wrong,I have put more detail in but I am not toooo happy with this and the dark one turns out black on MAC computer screens,so its dodgy ground.... If anyone is looking at this on a MAC could you let me know if this is visible to you or just black????Any feedback or suggestions on this would be appreciated.....Jack.

Name:	Four and Twenty.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	22220  

Gallery
    View images
    Hello Boxy, thanks for the reply... Yes I think if you show light there should be also colour and I have very little colour at the moment, perhaps I will try a bit of very gentle colouring in next ,it may get me going again,still have to be a bit careful, you dont see much colour in the darker scenes,Oh well I will have a go, its all good practice....Thanks for coming in Boxy good to see your still around....Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    Light and Dark versions...Slight colouring...I think I will call it finished because I want to get on with something else,there is lots more I could do,but I think this is enough for now anyway...I have done two versions because dark scenes are sometimes not visible on Mac Computers ( Different Black level). So I hope anyone looking in with a MAC can see at least one.....Jack.