ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: selection marquis, lasso copy, paste, scale, rotate, etc..

selection marquis, lasso copy, paste, scale, rotate, etc..

Have I overlooked something - is this available now?

Is it taboo to suggest these tools in such a pure painting emulator?

pixemo

These ideas are on our whiteboard. And they likley will be in a future release. But we need to find a good way to fit them into the UI that doesn't make the application something other than ArtRage.
    There might come a point where ArtRage branches into two products - one aimed more at illustration and work-centric, and another aimed at 'naked art'
    Or perhaps it'll just be a Big Red Switch - cLuNk! You're an illustrator with precision image editing tools. ClUnK! You're the unfettered, uninhibited artist pouring his passion into the canvas.

Thanks for the suggestion. We know we need these tools somewhere, but currently not sure where!

AndyRage.

[/b]
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

when or if you put these tools into artrage, will they have a 'rage' unique feel to them or basically be pretty similar to what we find in psp etc?

just, coz i was thinking how tools like lasso would be nicer to use (or paint with) in the friendly style of artrage rather than getting technica like psp et al.

am i making sense (not just to myself)

I'm definitely in the "naked art" camp....wait a minute that didn't sound right.

Seriously, I try to stay away from the things in ArtRage that I wouldn't have if I were standing in front of a canvas with a loaded brush in hand. Heck I stay away from layers if I can (only using them to do the neat paper texture trick). I probably wouldn't use selection tools if offered in ArtRage, but hey we all work differently!

Brian

Whither ArtRage?

I'm also swinging back to just the conventional painting tools.

I find the Airbrush tool is ok for simulating some brushes and the Glitter for others. But more brushes and a blender would be better. I can do the Pre-Raphaelite leaves thing, but I would like to be able to Bob Ross them as well.

I only need Layers to simulate a dried canvas.

If importing a plain white or black image didn't make the resulting wet canvas far too thickly painted then I would be OK with that. Neither The Roller or the Airbrush get this quite right. Once again, a blender that would simulate a piece of cloth would be great.

The Eraser tool is still a must have, it makes up for the iffy Palette knife, it simulates scratching back. Additionally it seems the only tool that will give a thin clear line. It also does a great shadow.

I sense that the Usergroups option above is soon going to come into use.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja-usagi
    when or if you put these tools into artrage, will they have a 'rage' unique feel to them or basically be pretty similar to what we find in psp etc?

just, coz i was thinking how tools like lasso would be nicer to use (or paint with) in the friendly style of artrage rather than getting technica like psp et al.

am i making sense (not just to myself)
    It's my goal that anything we put in to ArtRage will follow the general feel of the product. Part of the reason we don't have some of those features was that in early designs I just wasn't happy with my take on them. So yes, if/when they go in they'll fit the feel!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

A mask could be painted out of a bottle of "frisket".
    Does it always need to cover an entire layer, or not ?
    I only use this for sealing off small parts of a painting.
    should need sharp/soft edges ...
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Thanks for the response - I definately like the approach you have taken with ArtRage. Its unique, yet instantly usable, and fun. I wouldn't want to squash that.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmillustrator
    I'm definitely in the "naked art" camp....wait a minute that didn't sound right.

Seriously, I try to stay away from the things in ArtRage that I wouldn't have if I were standing in front of a canvas with a loaded brush in hand. Heck I stay away from layers if I can (only using them to do the neat paper texture trick). I probably wouldn't use selection tools if offered in ArtRage, but hey we all work differently!

Brian
    I work in production environment designing characters, creatures and other stuff for games and film. I find myself using AR2 to do my initial drawing, but then importing to other software for specific things like mirroring, resizing to other characters for line-ups as well as cloning for texturing. I guess I'd just like to stay in AR2 as much as possible since the interface and options (paper params, brush settings, etc.) are so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    ... There might come a point where ArtRage branches into two products - one aimed more at illustration and work-centric, and another aimed at 'naked art'
    Or perhaps it'll just be a Big Red Switch - cLuNk! You're an illustrator with precision image editing tools. ClUnK! You're the unfettered, uninhibited artist pouring his passion into the canvas.
    [/b]
    I really like the idea of a 'mode button' to add this functionality without getting in the way of other aspects of the program. Or, what about a plugin instead of an entirely different software? Could be an option to buy a 'technical' plugin for those of use that will use it, and won't bug the users who don't want it. It would provide things like grids, copy paste, mirroring, selection lasso, perspective lines whose vanishing points are way off the page, etc.)

Thanks,
    pixemo

ps- That frisket idea sounds cool - using a brush with its pressure sensitivity to paint a selection area. with feathering or hard edge options... mmmm!

pps - that perspective grid line feature is pure gold.. sketch your image, zoom the image out, place your vp's and horizon and have a straight line tool create the perspective guides. paint at will.

frisket is cool! but watercolor is a must, with the colors spreading, and bleeding as if you are holding the canvas up, and some option that would set the tilt angle of the paper, so as to have it horizontal or tilted... that would be great for a wash and stuff like that oooh watercolor!!! i am already excited make it great and better (you guys already are)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    These ideas are on our whiteboard. And they likley will be in a future release. But we need to find a good way to fit them into the UI that doesn't make the application something other than ArtRage.
    There might come a point where ArtRage branches into two products - one aimed more at illustration and work-centric, and another aimed at 'naked art'

Thanks for the suggestion. We know we need these tools somewhere, but currently not sure where!

AndyRage.

[/b]

I agree that they need to be there... to fit them in to the current tool I could see them being a mask like you would use for airbrushing. Most airbrushers use extensive masking.

This can be painted on liquid masks or something you cut out... either way or better yet both ways would work well.

my 2 cents.