ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What is Artrage like on a UMPC

What is Artrage like on a UMPC

Hi everyone
    I am so keen to buy a UMPC for painting but I've no idea how well it would work with Artrage. There are many UMPCs out there as well.....I do like the look of the Samsung Q1 with it's 7" screen.

I've used 'colours' on a DS and that is very good....the screen might be small on a DS but it is pressure sensitive......colours works very well. It's a shame it doesn't have the brush stroke feel of artrage...they are different programs...so it's unfair to compare.

I was just after some comments from anyone who might be running AR on a Samsung Q1 or a Wibrain or something.....are there any annoyances that crop up using UMPCs? What's it like drawing onto glass ( if that's what you are drawing onto?). The DS is quite good ( the surface ) to draw onto....it's a shame the screen is so small.

Can the Q1 Ultra keep up with Artrage ( the CPU )? Just curious for any comments...
    Thanks.

Hi pixelblip,
    I own a Samsung Q1 Ultra (note Ultra, that's the one with the two keyboard halves to each side of the display). I have the Windows XP Pro version, with 1GB RAM and 60GB hard disk. Not sure how much horse power you'd lose on the Vista versions. I loved mine from the minute I discovered it, when I finally bought it, and ever since. It's a brilliant part.

I have ArtRage 2.5 UMPC (in addition to ArtRage 2.5 for Windows, which I use on a fairly powerful XP machine). I use both devices frequently, and use the UMPC version more and more in the evenings, for sofa-based sketching, replacing sketchbook and pencils.

In terms of drawing performance, I don't find much difference between the two. Complex operations such as hiding or enabling layers might take slightly longer on the small UMPC. I am sure if you compared ArtRage on both devices with a stopwatch, more differences could be noted, but from a user experience standpoint of view, I find it works just great.

One key difference is that the Samsung's tablet is not pressure sensitive. You get used to changing the pressure with the cursor keys (under your left thumb). Since members on this forum advised me on the advantages of a true, pressure-sensitive, graphics tablet, I bought a Wacom Bamboo Fun for the desktop PC. I love it, but find that I am so used to not controling pressure through the pen that I still often use the cursor keys for pressure-adjustment, even on the desktop.

In short, the Samsung Q1 Ultra is perfectly adequate for ArtRage 2.5 in my opinion.
    It's not about how many breaths you take; it's about the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks for your reply.
    It's interesting you have both a Q1 and a tablet so you can compare them. I do own a large tablet and muck around with it but I just can't get used to looking at the screen whilst I can't see what my hands are doing ( ooer !)

A Q1 is so tempting after what you've said....problem with ordering anything is you never know how it will perform until you buy it....but you certainly sound pleased with your purchase.

Drawing onto the screen is really the holy grail isn't it............it's what we all lust after.

I thought the same, but admit that I got used to the Wacom tablet quicker than I thought. It's a matter of practise.

The Q1 Ultra is just a great little all round device. It's more expensive than the Asus EEE & Co, but it's also much more complete in my opinion. I even gave a presentation with it once, but people were more fascinated by my Q1 than by my presentation, I think
    It's not about how many breaths you take; it's about the moments that take your breath away.

I do like the look of the Q1...it looks just the right size.

I've just seen the first review of the new Intel classmate tablet.

They are running Artrage on it in the demo.........have a look on engadget....

I wonder if this will be pressure sensitive with it's resistive screen?

I understand Asus are to release a touchscreen tablet as well soonish........

It's an exciting time now........especially for those like me who've waited a long time to be able to paint on to a screen at an affordable price.

Has anyone at Artrage run the software on the new Intel Classmates and care to report back please?

irishrose Guest

Question

Would an iTouch be considered a UMPC? My kids want to know. They are getting them for Christmas.
    Rose

I have a EEE 701 and just installed the program - seems to work well. I haven't worked with it much but seems to work and thank you for the idea